THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dave
With bludawg and others tutoring, I've gotten very comfortable with 6-7 hour briskets. My son is throwing a HS graduation BBQ party (eats at 6:00 PM) in a couple weeks and wants brisket and pulled pork (along with some chicken & rib trimmings).

Questions:

1) will essentially the same brisket technique (300*-325* for 4 hrs, wrap in BP for a couple more hours until probe tender then rest/hold) work for pork butts?

2) should I wrap or just let them run until probe tender?

3) if wrap is the way to go, BP or foil?

Thanks in advance.

Questions:

1) will essentially the same brisket technique (300*-325* for 4 hrs, wrap in BP for a couple more hours until probe tender then rest/hold) work for pork butts?

Yes, pretty much. I do mine at a little lower temps, but I cook them together... I use the lower temps (mid to upper 200's for me) because I found that the higher temps didnt seem to render the fat quite as completely (mind you, was my experience, yours may vary) as 50 degrees+- lower.

2) should I wrap or just let them run until probe tender?

If you like wrapping; wrap. If you dont; dont. There's personal preference, and person taste of the final product at hand. I do wrap, for color, to limit/govern smoke, and to keep the super moist, but I like them that way.

3) if wrap is the way to go, BP or foil?

I use foil, but BP will work great too.

You can use the same method as with Brisket I don't wrap my Butts I get the pit to 300 toss it in and tend the fire average time to having to hold the bone in is about 50 min lb average> I warp in foil for the rest not the cook.

Back