THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Going to try a couple hot and fast briskets along with a couple of pork shoulders in the morning. I have cooked pork shoulders before at higher temps with good results but will be my first attempt at the brisket.

Thinking 375-400 until they get to 165, then wrap in butcher paper till probe tender and rest for 2 hrs. Does this sound about right.

Will be cooking on my Shirley offset.

That might be a little warm. I'd shoot for 300'ish. Wrap to color, and then temp on doneness. You're on the right track! 400 seems a bit warm.

I do my hot and fast briskets at 300 for around 2-2 1/2 hours then wrap. After another 2 hours I start checking internal temp. When it’s around 200-205 I check for probe tender. Then pull it vent the steam, wrap it and let it rest for 2 hours.

Instead of wrap I do hot and fast and use the boat and spray method. Fat side up. Great crust.

Check the brisket before 165. The bark might get too hard at 400. If that happens just wrap in foil fat cap up to soften the bark. Lots of ways to fix your mistakes. I've done a couple at those temps. Just gotta be on your toes as things happen quickly. Should be done in about 4 hours.

Butts can handle any temp.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Our Shirley likes to run at 300ish, so that where we cook. I decently trimmed brisket, fat side down for me on lower rack. I will let it run for 3 hours then check my color, I am usually around 155 to 165 by then and if I like the color I wrap. I could make her run hotter, but then I am forcing the issue IMO. Good luck

I have a offset that is hard to keep a clean fire at low temps. So I tried hot and fast at 275-300 or her sweet spot. There is no difference in H&F briskets tenderness or taste. You may not get the bark like a 12 hour brisket but you can cure that by not wrapping 108-185 and take it to 205 or probe tender. Or just not wrap at all.

I've never done Hot & Fast, but quite interested. The handful of occasions I tried to cook a flat have been a complete failure. Is a whole brisket H&F easier or more difficult that flats low & slow?

I am not sure you should wrap by temperature cooking that hot. Probably color or bark would be better. Your plan is solid otherwise!

I didn't know 275-300 was hot and fast. . . for the past year I've been increasing my cooking temp and cooking my briskets on my off set at 275 till wrap then up to 300-310 after. . . they have been all turned out great. . .the lesser grade of brisket the hotter I'll cook it and sometimes I do have to flip it, I doubt I'd cook that hot on my drum tho or flip and spritz it a whole bunch.

Back