THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I played with Cactus Honey Powder a couple of years ago. It is a product found in most Asian markets and is used as a sweetener for tea. You'll find it in the tea section of the market. It does bring a sweetness to things and does taste more like Agave than Honey. If you mix it in a rub, the "grind" is larger than most other ingredients and separates pretty badly. It can be used in any rub as a sweetener. Doesn't seem to burn too easily.

There are other true honey powders out there. I've not sourced any personally, but most co-packers can get access to this stuff for dry seasonings/mixes. I imagine Myron is using a truer honey powder than the tea sweetener found in Asian markets... like the one shown on the original post.

Last edited:
An interesting difference that I've seen with true rubs and the cactus honey powder is how the honey hydrates so much better than the cactus stuff. The honey rehydrates quickly and unlike any other sweetener.

Thanks Todd!

Did you find any cuts that you felt like the HP actually made a difference in flavor or character?

To me, it seemed like a good match for ribs, chicken, and chops. Seems a waste for big cuts or beef. Not sure about seafood.

Edit: I say waste because you get to experience the ingredient more on a smaller cut that doesn't already have a huge flavor of its own. My opinion, obviously.

I played with Cactus Honey Powder a couple of years ago. It is a product found in most Asian markets and is used as a sweetener for tea. You'll find it in the tea section of the market. It does bring a sweetness to things and does taste more like Agave than Honey. If you mix it in a rub, the "grind" is larger than most other ingredients and separates pretty badly. It can be used in any rub as a sweetener. Doesn't seem to burn too easily.

There are other true honey powders out there. I've not sourced any personally, but most co-packers can get access to this stuff for dry seasonings/mixes. I imagine Myron is using a truer honey powder than the tea sweetener found in Asian markets... like the one shown on the original post.

would this be it Plowboy? http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Powder-24-Jar-Each/dp/B0017SW43U/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_6

Found it 2 years ago and ditched it 2 years and 1 week ago. Not worth the price IMHO and doesn't add any Honey flavor profile. If you are shiggin' me , you won't find any in my camp.

Just my .02

I substitute half of the sugar with it in my rubs. It isn't as sweet so you need to experiment a little. The local Asian market carries it. Good stuff.
Edit to add a pic of what we get here. It is more of a granual consistancy.

Attachments

• Honey Powder.jpg
    Honey Powder.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 64
To me, it seemed like a good match for ribs, chicken, and chops. Seems a waste for big cuts or beef. Not sure about seafood.

Edit: I say waste because you get to experience the ingredient more on a smaller cut that doesn't already have a huge flavor of its own. My opinion, obviously.

Thanks for the input! I was thinking that it would prolly get "lost" in the richer flavors of beef, was thinkin more for ribs, chops and such

Found it 2 years ago and ditched it 2 years and 1 week ago. Not worth the price IMHO and doesn't add any Honey flavor profile. If you are shiggin' me , you won't find any in my camp.

Just my .02

Thanks! You should have some in your camp just for the shiggers... keep it right next to the muffin pans. :thumb:

I substitute half of the sugar with it in my rubs. It isn't as sweet so you need to experiment a little. The local Asian market carries it. Good stuff.
Edit to add a pic of what we get here. It is more of a granual consistancy.

I'll give it a whack, thanks.

Looks like the same product I have here, just different pkg...

Back