Homemade pressed deli ham

Got my press the other day and picked up a pork loin hunk today to make deli ham. “I think” the only recipe in the flyer that came with it was for turkey, did you use that same method but with pork loin? Curious to hear if you found any good recipes. The one in the booklet included unflavored gelatin as an ingredient, which I found interesting but probably not surprising.

Got my frist batch in the press last night, I used a piece of Prairie Fresh pork loin. I used the basic pressed ham recipe in the below book, but modified it slightly by introducing 1.25% granulated brown sugar along with the salt and cure. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

looks great! That's the book I used for this recipe as well. Came to the same conclusion; while good, will add honey or brown sugar as well next time.

looking forward to end result!

This is going on my to do list for after the holidays.
Maybe a silly question but does the ham sous vide right in the press canister? Just thinking of ways to put a little cold smoke on it before finishing it off in the water bath.

This is going on my to do list for after the holidays.
Maybe a silly question but does the ham sous vide right in the press canister? Just thinking of ways to put a little cold smoke on it before finishing it off in the water bath.

Yep. You cure it in the press, then either in a pot or SV (SV was easier choice for me) for the allotted time. Here is a YT link of how someone went about it (I know, taboo subject lately with youtube, but it's pertinent to this thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYtGXW3u3DQ

EDIT: 6:05 mark for the bath part.

Back