Home Depot Ranger charcoal

Here's the response from the Original Charcoal Company:

I was not aware that HD had the product in stores as yet. It is supposed to be "launched" over Memorial Day.​
After dinner I think I'll run to HD to pick up a couple of more bags.

Just for grins I am going to check my HD when I go tomorrow.

Let us know how it performs.

HD's in charlotte have it, but it was not displayed well. It was palletized on the second shelf of their racking system with no price. Didn't have time to stop and find a sales person because I was with my 3-year old tazmanian devil and his 7-year old sister. I'm guessing that they would have sold it to me if I asked, but that it's not for sale yet. I still have some old K left from the supply I layed-in before the switch.

HD's in charlotte have it, but it was not displayed well. It was palletized on the second shelf of their racking system with no price.

I didn't see it here at mine on saturday, but I only looked at the existing floor stuff...not up :roll:

I am curious, how does it burn?

I am in the 11th hour of a cook using these briqs for the first time. It has held temps very well even though it has been windy as heck. It does seem to be a little smokey though. I will edit the post later and give an update on the ash and the taste. I hope all is well... I love the price.

BTW... I read somewhere that HD is only carry this as a promo through June. After that it will be available at Costco.

Checked several other forums and most seem to like it. Touts 80% less ash than normal briquettes, hardwood and uses yucca starch as the binder....I haven't seen it here in Sand Dawg but will look this weekend.

I'll swing by HD today and see if they have it here. I'm doing a cook tomorrow so I will try it out in the barrel.

I think you guys will like it... I did a 13 hour cook on about 15 lbs. Still had plenty left in the end. Temps held very well even with the wind. The drum is still a little hot so I haven't emptied the ash but there doesn't seem to be much.

The only thing I can say as a possible negative is that it didn't seem to burn very hot. I had to open an extra intake to hold 230. May have been the wind though... not sure.

I'll look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks for all the comments and reviews. I think I will try to find some at my local HD and give it a try. Smokin Gator was on it wasn't he.

Just picked up 2 bags at HD. Here is how it looks.

charcoal.jpg

Gonna use it in the kettle tonite to do some salmon and maybe a few boneless thighs for tomorrow's lunch. If I like it, I will use it in the drum.

Gonna be kinda difficult to use though. If there are no K's, how do I know which side goes up?

I think you guys will like it... I did a 13 hour cook on about 15 lbs. Still had plenty left in the end. Temps held very well even with the wind. The drum is still a little hot so I haven't emptied the ash but there doesn't seem to be much.

The only thing I can say as a possible negative is that it didn't seem to burn very hot. I had to open an extra intake to hold 230. May have been the wind though... not sure.

I'll look forward to your thoughts.

I agree with most of this. Good news: The temps have been even throughout my cook. Bad News: Those even temps have been at 200 or below. I have had to run the barrels (got 2 going) with all of the vents wide open to keep the temps up. And this is with now winds and the outside temp never dropped below 60 last night.

Unless you are cold smoking I would pass based on last night's cook. As far as temps go, I'd rather struggle to keep it down than struggle to get it up!

I picked up some this charcoal this weekend at my HD. I used some in my kettle and some in my new WSM. It seemed to work out just fine for me. Of course I don't have anything to judge it by because I don't use the kettle much and it was the first cook on the WSM. For the price I think I may go pick me up a half pallet before its gone.

Anyone else have an update of these?

Jason.

I bought a couple bags last week. My only complaint is the massive amount of ash. Other than that it was ok. I do like that it provided me with a long steady smoke at consistant temperatures. I used it in my Weber kettle, my wallyworld imitation kettle and my Komodo.

Just went to HD to pick some of this to try & the sign said $4.99 so I grabbed 2 bags, when checking out the price came up as $2.99, told the cashier I would be right back...returned with 5 more bags. Hell it will get burned up in something :icon_cool Might have to make another run tomorrow...

Back