High Temp Brisket Try

Pig Headed

Babbling Farker
I'm trying a high temp brisket today. Put a 10 lb flat on at noon. Plan on cooking at 350* and wrapping at 170* I will start probing at 185* every 20min 'till probe slides in very easy. I will post pics later.

I did this a month or so ago. Came out great. Don't go by temp once foiled. It's done when there is no resistance to a probe/fork etc. Enjoy!

2 hours into the cook. Temps not what I want, too low. Brisket at about 155-160, pit temp around 285-300.

Attachments

• IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 282
A 10 lb flat? Thay must have been a 15 lb+ packer before it was separated!

Did you inject? I've done several hot briskets and I have always injected them. Also, when I'm cooking hot I foil by color rather than temp. I learned that from a seasoned high temp cook :rolleyes:

It was a 9.97lb flat that I got from Costco. Must have been a big packer. Yes I injected and put some Stubbs marinade on when I foiled. Brisket was done at 3:30. 3 1/2 hours. It was 192*. Will cool for 2 hours and I will cut it at 5:30. I'll let you know. I can't believe a 3 1/2 hour brisket. Hope it's good. Got a pan of salt on now for future rubs.

It was a 9.97lb flat that I got from Costco. Must have been a big packer. Yes I injected and put some Stubbs marinade on when I foiled. Brisket was done at 3:30. 3 1/2 hours. It was 192*. Will cool for 2 hours and I will cut it at 5:30. I'll let you know. I can't believe a 3 1/2 hour brisket. Hope it's good. Got a pan of salt on now for future rubs.

Good luck Ron... Hopefully you get the results you want.

PS - Never heard of anyone smoking salts before. Interesting. How long do you do this ?

Vinny, I smoke salt to add to my homemade rubs. I usually smoke it for about 2 hours. The brisket came out pretty good. Not my best, but not a bad first attempt at this method. It wasn't dry, but could have been a little more moist and probably could have cooked another 3-4*. Here's the final result. Sorry about the pic. quality.

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 240
That looks nice!

I've noticed my neighborhood Costco had large flats in addition to the trimmed flats. I asked about whole packers and they just shrugged their shoulders? Farkers!

And people have been telling me for years that I could not smoke a Brisket in 5 hours. Right!!!
Looks good. I would NEVER take 12 hours to smoke a Brisket when they come out as good OR better in 5.
You show 'em Pig Headed Man!!!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!

Back