High Heat Pork Butts...WSM Method...

Fatcap down...and yes...there are pics...:cool:

Here's the skinny...about 4 1/2 hours from fire to foil on the butts...:razz: The bark was great...the smoke was great...the moisture was great...I even liked the way Steph's rub worked with my sauce...:lol::lol::lol:...good stuff brother! :wink:
QUOTE]

I would like to add my congratulations on a great job and wonderful experiment.

two questions:
1. what is the reason for cooking with the fatcap down in pans?

2. Did you use a water pan in your somker, when cooking in pans? I have a UDS (no water pan), wonder if I can just cook in pans without water?]

again great looking food

Porcine Pirate
" Pigs are our Tasty Friends "

Fatcap down...and yes...there are pics...:cool:

Here's the skinny...about 4 1/2 hours from fire to foil on the butts...:razz: The bark was great...the smoke was great...the moisture was great...I even liked the way Steph's rub worked with my sauce...:lol::lol::lol:...good stuff brother! :wink:
QUOTE]

I would like to add my congratulations on a great job and wonderful experiment.

two questions:
1. what is the reason for cooking with the fatcap down in pans?

In case the liquid runs low...I wanted the fatcap for heat protection so it wouldn't burn...

2. Did you use a water pan in your somker, when cooking in pans? I have a UDS (no water pan), wonder if I can just cook in pans without water?]

I used the water pan as a heat diffuser...but ran it dry...

again great looking food

Porcine Pirate
" Pigs are our Tasty Friends "

Thanks! :p

Looks like you did a fantastic job! I'll wait by the mailbox in case you want to send me a plate :)

Looks awesome! So what's the verdict on the foil pans? It still seems (to me) that it would be a sacrifice of bark and flavour...

VERY GOOD thanks for sharing your experiment. I might have to try the hot method. I also like your reasoning for the fat cap down.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Nice lab experiment JD! Did you drain off all the juices before pulling or save some of them to mix in with the pulled meat?

Ive always wanted to try one at a hot temp and see how it came out. Whats next.. We are cooking brisket and pork at 300+, smoking meat in pans.. microwave ribs anyone? man how times are a changing..hahah thanks for the info. I will finally pull the trigger and cook one at high temps myself. I would love to cook one in 5 hours.

Nice lab experiment JD! Did you drain off all the juices before pulling or save some of them to mix in with the pulled meat?

I always save the juice brother smoker...that's where all the good stuff is! :p I usually strain it and mix it with the sauce for pulled pork sammies...:cool:

Back