hickory salt

Samichlaus

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
samichlaus
I'm going to place an order with the ingredient store, is this stuff worth getting? I was thinking it might be good on grilled food. It's only about $5 a pound.

Samichlaus said:
I'm going to place an order with the ingredient store, is this stuff worth getting? I was thinking it might be good on grilled food. It's only about $5 a pound.

I use it in my rib rub... but just like a teaspoon in probably 4 cups of rub total.

If you wanted to try it first, I've found hickory salt in the grocery stores and wal-mart here.

Willy T.

willkat98 said:
Someone told me it is liquid smoke added to salt.

Liquid smoke tastes like a$$ so this stuff basically tastes like salty a$$. But it does enhance flavors when mixed with other things. I don't think I'd ever use it just on it's own.

willkat98 said:
Someone told me it is liquid smoke added to salt.

It won't be if you take Arlin's advise and smoke your own.:cool:

Works great, and costs nothing, just use an empty part of your cooker next time you have it fired up. I like the smoked salt to add a layer of flavor to stuff that does not stay on the fire long enough to really absorb as much smoke as i want.

qman said:
It won't be if you take Arlin's advise and smoke your own.:cool:

Works great, and costs nothing, just use an empty part of your cooker next time you have it fired up. I like the smoked salt to add a layer of flavor to stuff that does not stay on the fire long enough to really absorb as much smoke as i want.

Does it?

Other than applying a layer of soot on the salt, I can't see how this would taste good.

My theory.

If I want salt taste, I add salt.

If I want smoke flavor, I smoke it.

I don't go for shortcuts with smoked salt. No need.

I have kosher salt, and a bandera. If I want smoked pop corn, I add it to the water pan

(try it, it is good)

I make mine.

When smoking other foods I just place a tray of Malden or Rock Salt on an empty part of the WSM.

I then use the salt when cooking/preparing other food rather than adding it to BBQ.

Back