Hickory Pellet Smoked Turkey

farmer-fred

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tom
:thumb:Friday I smoked a 14-1/2 lb turkey on the Pellet Pro Smoker. Injected with Creole butter, rubbed the outside with Yardbird and placed in a cast iron pan on a grate. Five hrs @225 basting every hr than two hrs wrapped @275 to finish. Pulled @ 165-175 internal. Rested for 1/2 hr and sliced. It was the juiciest bird I have ever smoked. Flavor with the Creole Butter injection was spot on The wife just loved it. The smoke was light and not at all overpowering so the taste of the bird came through. It produced about two quarts of excellent drippings to make gravy. Only thing I would do different is use a deeper pan with a higher grate so the turkey was not swimming when it finished. Sorry but no plated pictures.

20200320_111959.jpg

20200320_173326.jpg

Good learning on depth of Pan - I’m taking notes! Bird looks great, Tom!

Thanks all, I am learning, I have used this pan before and never had an issue. But then I usually brine or just season my turkey. This is the first one I injected and also since it came from Meijer's it was probably enhanced. They like to do this to increase the weight. We had leftovers last night and it was even better after soaking in the leftover broth and drippings.

Thanks all, I really think I am going to like this grill. I would like the searing station along with mt griddle attachment but it has been too cold and windy to stand out there. I had planned on doing a low and slow brisket today but will wait until tomorrow.

Looks great, love turkey with the creole butter,I put a cooling rack under the meat when I want to catch the drippings, it also lets smoke under it and aint water logged

Back