THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MachAF

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I got a Oklahoma Joe offset from Craigslist for $75. From research it appears to be an original made in Perry. It's been neglected, it's very rusty and appears to have been sitting outside for years not being used.

I've lubed up the doors so they open now. Wire wheeled and flap disked the entire inside and most the outside.

Looking for someone who might have one of these so I can see how it is suppose to be setup. I think the wheels are on the wrong side and wondering how the firebox is setup - looks like the fire box had multiple layers of steel and one layer was completely rusted out so I removed it. There are no supports for the grate in the box.

Thanks

Image isn't uploading or attaching so here in the link.

d4y77Td

https://ibb.co/d4y77Td

Attachments

Last edited:
I had an OJ Highland but it obviously wasn't an original. On mine, the wheels were under the firebox, or if you have a handle welded on, wheels on opposite end of that. I sure hope that you are able to restore it and get some life back in her. If grinding and sanding will be too much work, you may see if anyone local can do sandblasting.

Yeah. Wheels go on firebox side. If the firebox grate support is rusted out, you might want to try the OKJ charcoal basket for the new models. Other than that, you will have to find someone who can weld to add new supports.

I had an OJ Highland but it obviously wasn't an original. On mine, the wheels were under the firebox, or if you have a handle welded on, wheels on opposite end of that. I sure hope that you are able to restore it and get some life back in her. If grinding and sanding will be too much work, you may see if anyone local can do sandblasting.

Got pics to attach. Almost finished with the grinding. Just gotta do the firebox door and touch up a few areas.

Yeah. Wheels go on firebox side. If the firebox grate support is rusted out, you might want to try the OKJ charcoal basket for the new models. Other than that, you will have to find someone who can weld to add new supports.

I was thinking about lining the bottom of the firebox with fire bricks. Then figuring out where to weld some supports - just want to ensure proper placement. That OKJ basket on top of firebricks looks like winner to me.

I have a Highland and agree that the wheels are at the wrong end on yours. There is/are no supports for the grate in the fire box at all in mine. The grate just rests against the fire box wall. Also, the wheels on the new ones are bigger. From appearances in the photographs attached, yours may have a more generous exhaust stack than mine. All in all that's not a bad purchase at all.

Looks like is an Original Oklahoma Joe's KD Smoker
KD stands for Knock Down. For the ability to take the legs off, stake off and load it in your truck for camping. Only need 3 guys to lift it.

I have an old OK Joe. Not an original Perry Ok. version but it is one of the early China imports. Still made of 1/4" steel. So here is what I see on yours.
The tag on the door has a different design than mine which leads me to think it might be an original. The fire box is welded on (mine is bolted) and the handles to lift the lids are welded all the way around (mine just have a couple of beads on the handles).Probably original. The stay cool wire handles are probably an aftermarket item. I've never seen a front shelf like that on any OK Joe but I've not seen em all. My handle on the exhaust end is only about 4" deep. The deeper handle on yours looks like the new ones. But again I'm not sure. Yes, the wheels are on the wrong side. You should be able to switch the legs around and fix that unless the set screws are rusted like mine were. And I don't think the old ones ever had supports for a fire grate. Just for an optional cooking grate in the fire box. I lust built a sturdy grate that fits in and holds the fire off the bottom. You want air to enter under the fire. Just a poor design of the day I guess. Mine also has an expanded metal shelf under the cook chamber.

What I know for sure is yours is in FAR better shape than mine. For 75 bucks you stole that thing. Have some tuning plates made for it to better control temps from end to end and you have one heck of a cooker. Congrats on a great score.

Now that the pictures are there, it looks like you already have a lot of clean up done on it, and I would say it was a great deal. I agree that that exhaust is a lot bigger than mine was, and I had air flow problems and lot of times had to open the door. You should have a great smoker there once it's up and running. Congrats on finding it!

I’m getting mixed signals from her, everything looks right for an original Joe with one exception! The door flanges should be welded on the outside of the doors as opposed to the inside of the chamber and firebox...

The tag is right for an original, but the wheels are definitely on the wrong end...

I wonder if you got one made here just before they went to china?

Don’t know, but either way, you bought it right so fire that mother up and COOK something!

Back