Help.....with a deep dish pizza...

Doug Crann

is one Smokin' Farker
....the Boss, aka my loving wife Ernie, has been dropping some not so subtle hints about wanting to make a deep dish pizza in our Large Big Green Egg. Have never even looked into it. When she make a pizza she uses this recipe for the dough....

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/the-easiest-pizza-youll-ever-make-recipe

We end up with enough dough to make 2 14" medium thickness crusts.

Should we look for a cast iron pan? If so will our recipe work? Should we make the pizza in the cold pan?

HELP!

If you want a fairly authentic Chicago Deep dish pie cooked in a cast iron skillet, have a look at this cook I did a few years ago:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200111

The dough recipe you list from the KA site is more of a traditional bread type crust, so not sure how it would fare if you modeled it after a Chicago style pie.

Hope this helps a bit...

Last edited:
Have never had a Chicago deep dish pizza served in a cast iron pan. The restaurants here just don't do it. Any old deep pan will work just fine. Don't make the crust too thick.

Google the Bobby Flay throwdown when he took on Marc Malnati. Marc tried to fix Bobby's crust, but it still sucked though.

Last edited:
Well when it comes to deep dish here its not Chicago style. Its a crispy crust cooked in pan with lots of oil. The crust almost frys. I didn't know all these years my favorite style of pizza is actually refered to as a Detroit style pizza.

I dont have a good recipe though, we just order from jets

Well when it comes to deep dish here its not Chicago style. Its a crispy crust cooked in pan with lots of oil. The crust almost frys. I didn't know all these years my favorite style of pizza is actually refered to as a Detroit style pizza.

I dont have a good recipe though, we just order from jets
I usually use a 12" CI fry pan, and either all purpose or bread flour.
Detroit Style Pepperoni Pizza
Servings: 2 - 8 square pizzas

For the pizza dough:

1½ cups warm water (about 110° F)
1 package fast-acting yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup fine semolina, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon salt
Oil, for greasing bowl
For the pizza sauce:

2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning (dried variety)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup red wine
For the pizza:

Oil or shortening for the pan(s)
dough recipe
sauce recipe
8 ounces Wisconsin brick cheese, shredded (approximate per pizza)
4 ounces pepperoni (approximate per pizza)
toppings of choice if venturing outside of pepperoni
How it’s made:

For the pizza dough:

Pour 1/2 cup warm water (110-115°F, use a thermometer) in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the yeast and sugar; stir to dissolve. Let sit until foaming, 5 to 10 minutes.

Add the remaining water. Add the flours, semolina and salt all at once and mix on low speed until the mixture comes together. Increase to medium speed and mix for about 8 minutes, stopping the mixer to feel the texture of the dough periodically. The dough should be forming a ball around the dough hook, yet still sticky and not real “tight”.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly fine semolina coated surface and knead a few times until slightly elastic. The dough should hold together for a few seconds before spreading slightly. Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rest for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile make the sauce…

For the sauce:

In a large saucepan or a dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, basil, dried herbs, sugar, salt, pepper and wine.

Once heated through and bubbly, reduce heat to low and simmer. Sauce will thicken and reduce. Keep warm.

For assembly:

Grease a rectangular pan (8×10 works nicely for a 8-square pizza) with oil. If using a 8×10 pan, split the dough into 2 sections. Adjust dough amount accordingly for larger/smaller pans. Gently push the dough into the pan bottom and up about 1-inch on the side; the dough will be about 1/2? thick.

Once the dough is in the pan, cover the dough with pepperoni (don’t be stingy, I used about twice the amount than I showed in the photo above). Top the pepperoni with 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Spread the cheese all the way to the edge of the pan and the dough. (Allowing the edges to crisp perfectly when baking.) Cover the pan loosely with a damp towel and allow to rest at least 1 hour, or up to 2 hours.

For baking:

Preheat oven to 450°F.

After the 1-2 hour rest time for the dough, “adjust” the dough in the pan if needed. Make sure the bottom is completely covered and the dough is about 1-inch up the sides of the pan.

Dollop the warm sauce randomly onto the pizza, staying away from the edges. Bake in the top third of the oven about 20 minutes, or until crust is browned and crispy.

Bake the remaining crust with additional sauce and toppings.

Serve pizza with additional, warm sauce on the side as desired.

Back