Hello from Pittsburgh

whenyeastattack

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Jack
Hi!

I've been a lurker on this forum for years but decided to join now that I'm getting pretty serious about backyard bbq. I live near Pittsburgh, PA. I started making BBQ about 10-15 years ago on a hand-me-down Brinkmann Sportsman charocal smoker:

pu8lkHR.jpg

I cooked on that a couple times a year for five years or so before upgrading to a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5". Since getting the WSM I've done a look of cooking - spare ribs, pork shoulder, and primarily brisket. The local costco only carries flats but I've gotten pretty good at picking soft, fatty ones and putting out a pretty good product. I've modified my WSM a good deal, adding a gasket kit to the lid & door, attaching some handles to the body, putting in the a 2nd fire grate & stainless eye bolts, and the Unknown BBQ lid hinge. I also built a simple cedar platform on casters to mount it and a stainless prep table to:

fJqcc7Y.jpg

I have an AMNPS maze that I use frequently to cold smoke cheese, bacon, nuts, and even malted barley for brewing smoked beer:

KdL3El8.jpg

You like plate rib? I've turned out some good ones on the WSM:

4YGCCqP.jpg

I love my WSM, but I've been wanting a stick burner for years. I've waffled over which one to buy, should I get a COS, or maybe a mid-range one such as a Old Country, or should I just splurge on a well-made custom pit? In then end I decided a custom pit would be worth the price. I looked at all the big pit builders and finally settled on a 24x36 offset cabinet with a warming oven from Lone Star Grillz as my perfect pit. I put my order in a few weeks ago and am looking forward to it arriving later this summer. Cheers!

Welocme to the asylum!

Take a look around and if you have questions please feel free to contact the moderator team or our senior members. Their names are color coded so you can recognized them.

Also, each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where to post.

Finally, please review our rules! They are pretty straight forward, but looking at them up front may help to eliminate problems later :-D

Oh! Don't forget to add your name to the Brethren Map, located at the top of this Cattle Call forum.

Most important, have fun and join in our conversations and share and learn!

Welcome aboard Jack!

You fixed that WSM right up nicely!

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona. BTW the ribs look great.

Greetings from a native "yinzer" (born in McKeesport and raised in Oakdale) living in North Texas for the past 7 years.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you as a fellow Brethren here.

I hope to see you in the Q-Talk forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Back