THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DonInGlenAllenVa

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hello All!

My name is Don and I live in Glen Allen, VA (in the Richmond Area) with my wife and two kids. I just joined after perusing the threads for just a few days. I found quite a few good threads and knowledgeable comments on here so it was an easy decision to come aboard.

I've been getting more and more heavily into BBQ over the last few years. Like most of you likely have found, it's both a challenge and rewarding. It's a great way to release some creativity as well. I've been grilling for years, but at 45 it seems I finally have the patience to smoke something for hours. :)

It used to be that Summer's meant crabs and all other types of seafood but with the price of blue crabs heading North of $120 a bushel it's been easier and easier to focus on BBQ. Currently, I'm cooking on a couple of 22" Weber's and a Masterbuilt Cabinet Propane Smoker. However, wifey has given me the greenlight on a Big Green Egg XL for Father's Day. :grin:

Another hobby of ours, including my wife and kids in this, has been our gardens in which we do a good job with green peppers, a number of varieties of jalepenos, as well as cukes, squash, zuchinni, okra, and more tomatoes than we can possibly consume or can. We also have a few egg laying hens and routinely raise and process a batch of meat chickens. Just processed fifteen Cornish Crosses yesterday.

Along with the hens and meat birds, we've also raised Narragansett turkeys, Coturnix Quail, and Muscovy ducks. All of which has been fun but my wife's favorite livestock we've raised has been American Guinea Hogs. The AGH is on the American Livestock Breed's Conservancy heritage breed of hog list. They are known as a lard hog with the propensity of carrying more fat than Tamworth's, Berkshires, or Durocs which are more prevalent in the production pork chain. We've raised two in our first batch and four small one's in our second. It's quite satisfying to sitting down to Thanksgiving Dinner with a bird you've raised, processed, brined, and cooked. It's also very satisfying mixing up your own cure and curing pork bellies and smoking them yourself. All of this on a parcel just under two acres.

That's a bit of background on us. I'm looking forward to good threads going forward. Most of these things we've done I've learned from threads on boards such as this and via YouTube videos. I promise I'll do my best to be helpful and contribute to the discussions.

All my best guys,

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
kafqy0.jpg

Back