THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JimmyR1Rider

is one Smokin' Farker
Did the cook for them yesterday. These guys are amazingly fast. I knew a handful of them personally and theyre all crazy good constrhction guys. The built a 30X30 extension and 2 roofs in the time it took me to cook a brisket.

I had delays leaving so the 4:30 am idea was shot. I wound up leaving at 6:50. I got on site at the camp at about 9 o'clock give or take. Got the Shirley set up, rubbed the butts and briskets and put them on at 9:25. Ran hot and fast with my temps averaging probably 315. Had gone as high as 365 when I overshot the amount of wood needed to bring the temp back up and as low as 290 when I was cooking them lunch. I had to cook 40 cheeseburgers and 35 hot dogs and maintain the fire at the same time. Was interesting to say the least lol

I had 1 guy that helped me with what he could which was great. He helped separate the frozen burgers and he heated the onions and kraut for the dogs. The Shirley got an early afternoon bath in grease lol. I had fired up the chargrill at 11:15 to get it ready to start cooking at 12. Made the mistake of adding more coals and hitting them with the weed burner to bring the temp up faster because it had dropped to 250. Well lesson learned. I had to fight flare ups but because of the pull out grill I was able to do my own temp hot zones so it worked out well.

The briskets were probe tender at about 4 o'clock the butts at about 5 give or take I forget. Was a long day. Everyone raved about it. I got a lot of hugs, too many compliments to count. Everyone said the brisket melted in your mouth. I sampled one slice and must say it was some of the best I've turned out. Had great taste, folded over your finger, was super moist and would pull apart with just a slight tug.

The pulled pork they all loved too. The ribs were a smash. The Mac and cheese and beans went over great as well. They were all amazed at the smoker and couldn't believe it was a hobby only for me lol.

When the briskets and butts were done I double wrapped in foil and held them in the warmer which I had at 175°. Felt nice to utilize everything on the smoker. The chamber, the grill, the propane burners for the onions, kraut and then Mac and cheese with dinner as well as the warmer to hold the meats for a couple of hours.

I served dinner at around 6:45 by request of John Viola, who's basically the foreman. He wanted them to clean up the tools and everything first. We could have eaten as early as 5:30 So luckily even with running late I would have been right on track with the original 6pm chow time.

I put the pork loin on late at 4. I finished that up after dinner since I couldn't pull the pork, slice brisket and maintain temp so they'll have that for lunch with the rest of the burgers today.

John already asked me how far is be willing to travel. I told him a ways so in the spring he wants me to go to Connecticut for a build they're doing. They'll put me up in a hotel. Told him I'd be happy to.

Never thought people would enjoy my cooking that much, was nice to hear true appreciation. They also gave me 10 large bags of charcoal as a thanks!!!

Sorry no pics of food guys was way too busy. As it was I also forgot to put out the cornbread. They were going to have that with breakfast they were all saying.

I did get pics of the site, what they did and my Shirley set up. You'll see how much they did in 7 1/2 hours. Pretty amazing.

sounds like you pulled it off and it was very successful. nothing makes you feel better than seeing everyone enjoying what you cooked and then asking you to come back.

sounds like you pulled it off and it was very successful. nothing makes you feel better than seeing everyone enjoying what you cooked and then asking you to come back.

Thanks Paul.

I definitely learned a lesson I should have already known. I should have drawn up an itinerary. I wouldn't have forgotten anything.

So it wasn't perfect but the food part pretty much was as good as I could have hoped. Next time will be much easier. Especially if its not in the middle of nowhere and almost 2 hours away. Glad I was able to adjust cook times with running the pit differently. Ha e never done hot and fast before. Was a nice change.

Hey Jimmy!

That's my man Johnny V. running the show!!! I laughed when you made the comment on him being Foreman. That's him taking charge as usual. Did he insist on being the burger separator guy too????:-D
That's his nature, great supervisor who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. I'll probably see him ice fishing season at the camp and we'll discuss his bossy-ness!:p

Good luck on the Connecticut build. You couldn't be working with a better group of guys.

Hey Jimmy!

That's my man Johnny V. running the show!!! I laughed when you made the comment on him being Foreman. That's him taking charge as usual. Did he insist on being the burger separator guy too????:-D
That's his nature, great supervisor who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. I'll probably see him ice fishing season at the camp and we'll discuss his bossy-ness!:p

Good luck on the Connecticut build. You couldn't be working with a better group of guys.

Lol. Man I can't even joke against him. He was chill as heck and was just helping out where he was needed. Great guy.

I'm REALLY glad I did this. Was a long day but a super rewarding one. I didn't eat anything but a slice of brisket and a pinch of pulled pork or sit down until after 7:30 at night but it was great fun.

Back