Has anyone thought of "retiring" from contest cooking ?

I can't say I have thought about quitting much...I am only in my third year of serious competition. But with the friends that I have made doing this, and the fact that at turn in time it is such an adrenaline rush, I will probably keep doing it as long as I can still afford it! $4 a gallon gas is definitely something to consider.

Same here, almost every contest in the AM (and after awards if I get killed) I'm thinking this is crazy, I'm retiring.

What keeps bringing me back is that I love to compete. On the ride home, or the next day, I'm already thinking about how to cook better, what to tweak etc. The challenge of cooking better next time, or trying to beat Tuffy or ISS, keeps me coming back. Also, the fantasy of winning the Royal or the Jack has kept me out on the trail as well.

I've cut back on my contests this year. And eventually will probably only cook Harpoon and maybe one other contest.
Hmmmmmmmm:becky:

Been doin it for eight years now and I'll die before I retire from competition. Just can't do it. There's a big 'ol bbq family out there I'll miss too much. Plus......I need the adrenalin rush....I'm too old to get it any other way!!

Now that's funny to bring this up again and to see what I wrote 3 years ago. Well since then I have SEMI-retired to just maybe 6 contests a year. I still couldn't leave competitions completely because of the reasons I stated above. Life changes. Don't practice much anymore and my scores show that. Just can't afford the money and time to keep on top anymore. But I still have fun doing it.:butt:

I am happy now with the one or two contests we do a year now. It is just enough to get away with the family twice a year and see the good people I have not seen in a while.

Back