THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After Harpoon, the trailer is going up for sale as well a the large medium Spicewine. We are not quitting Competition BBQ. We are scaling down our operation so Michele and I will cook with just a few Smokey Mountains.

After Harpoon, the trailer is going up for sale as well a the large medium Spicewine. We are not quitting Competition BBQ. We are scaling down our operation so Michele and I will cook with just a few Smokey Mountains.

Is that like Jumbo Shrimp?????

Guy - Were you reading my mind ???

Last night I had some crazy idea of seeing if I could strap one canopy and one 6ft table to the roof of my Trailblazer and then somehow manage to fit 2 WSM's (that I'd need to re-buy) in the trunk area and then fill the seating area w/2 coolers and a minimal amount of other needed supplies. I was thinking that if I go even more minimal that I already do might help in my decision making. It might be feasible but probably the same amount of work in the end. The cost side does not change much either. It was a fun idea while I was working out the logistics in my head though.

I've been considering trying to sell my 5 x 8 trailer but once I sell that there is no way the Spicebox ever leaves my garage again. I don't want to make any decisions I will regret so I have not acted on anything yet.

Last edited:
Vinny,

I have a beautiful, candy apple powder coated, Medium Spicewine sitting in my Gararge that I am pretty sure I will keep. I sold a Blue Medium Spicewine this morning. Vinny, I am being very honest when I tell you that after this past weekend we are canceling out of Lake Placid, New Paltz and New Holland. We will be cooking in NH, Harpoon and Sayville. Next year you will see a trimmer Two Fat Polocks Team using WSM's and traveling much, much lighter. It will be just Michele and I. It's just too much with the job requiring more and more of my time. This was not a snap decision that Michele and I have made. This has been mulled over for the past few months.

Vinny
What a interesting question. I can see how somebody would raise that question. I went to my first contest today ( Mt Vernon, IL ) as a spectator and just as I expected it really is alot of work and most of those guys were beat at the end.
I guess you really have to prioritize in our busy lifes.

I cant imagine what it must be like to travel to a comp without a trailer and a spicewine and only show up with an ezup and a couple of wsm's:rolleyes::biggrin:

There is a New England team that competes and shows up with all their stuff in a Subaru station wagon (and they still feel like they bring too much stuff). I think they took 2nd place in brisket at Peter's Pond yesterday.

On the real far away comps I travel light. I have a hitch carrier for the truck. On it I put my 2 BDS's with 2 WSM's stored inside. Works out great. Hate to leave my new fifth wheel at home but $5 a gallon for deisel at 10 mpg makes me pucker up.

I drive a Ford cargo van so my entire setup fits no problem. Gas mileage so so at 10 MPG fully loaded but most contest are within 2-3 hours. I think from now on I will bringing some day laborers to load my truck, set up at site then pack up and get back to my house and unload. Then I would love to compete, even solo

We just finished power washing all our coolers and grates. Loaded up the trailer with most of our "stuff' getting ready for a comp this weekend. It is hot, and im tired. We need to scale down too. Just keeping things clean wears us out.

Scale down??? I wannaadd a few extras. Mianly things to tidy up our woek area.

We are really in our first year and a half of comps. We did two in 07, 5 already this year and we should get at least two more in by years end. We have been lucky and made walks in every event we have done and nothing thrills me as much as seeing our boys (7 & 10) go up for the picture and pick up the trophies.

If we get a check, I grab that and promptly hand it to my wife.

I can see the burn out, it happens with the travel, expense etc. Heck, when I was younger I tried to make a living bowling, so I know about high cost, little return and burn out.

BBQ for me it is a pure hobby that I get the share with my family. It is a really expensive hobby, but we get to spend the weekend together and along the way we have met some really great people.

As Neil mentioned, the PC money does help to off set some of the costs, but I am not into the vending thing and that is where my wife excels. Everyone plays a big part in the event and that is what it is all about.

Now lets talk in a year or two and see where I stand.

Back