Harvest Brine

ice_mf_mike

Full Fledged Farker
Can someone walk me through how to use harvest brine? I have 2 small packets of this. Is it enough for a turkey?

Also do you use it i conjunction with rub? Do you rinse it after brining then add rub? Does it need to be low salt rub? How long do you let it brine?

Thanks!

Pretty straight forward. Use Saran Wrap to cover and no need to rinse before smoking or use with any other rub.
IMG_2500.JPEG

I asked those exact same questions and the person who makes it answered them with "yes, no, both, either." haha I had great luck following the package directions for how much of the brine to use for the weights of the turkeys. After the recommended time of brining I just put the bird right into the smoker. I didn't add any rub and I didn't remove the brine. Easily the BEST turkey I had ever cooked in my life...unreal!

Go with the simple approach and just follow the directions on the package. It also acts as a light coating of rub, and I didn't feel like adding additional rub was necessary.

Nice. I feel like i would want a crust of some sort. Would it be too salty if additional rub were added?

Nice. I feel like i would want a crust of some sort. Would it be too salty if additional rub were added?

Pat probably has the correct approach in cooking 2 birds...one each way to see how you like it. The dry brine was flavor enough for me, but if you add another rub right before you put it on the smoker I'd go light with it. You could easily get the bird too salty and that won't be pleasant.

Back