Hanger steak. OMG.

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bill
G'Day Bruces! :becky:

On the back of that other thread I posted here I just finished up the rest of the Hanger. So nice.

Oh, CONGRATS to John and Smitty for the correct guess on the cut and thanks for all the other funny comments. Next time I WILL do some Kangaroo or find a Drop Bear to grill up!:razz:

This is the cut in question:
20200507_132512.jpg

To which was added some very nice rub: I've gone through this Santa Maria rub pretty much faster than any other rub I've had. :thumb:

20200507-133206.jpg

As you know, Hangers have that silver skin running right up the guts so if you trim that out you get two long thin cuts you can effectively grill on a flat top teppanyaki style.
20200507-191100.jpg

On the flat top with a little oil and LOTS of butter.
20200509-201828.jpg

Rest in a little foil (IT about 115F) with lots more butter and tiny squeeze of lemon:
20200509_202214.jpg

After resting:
20200509_203334.jpg

Slicing:
20200509_203602.jpg

20200509_203608.jpg

Money Shot:
20200509_203810.jpg

I was drinking Korean Soju and took this over to my next door neighbours place... yes even with Social distancing, you can have 1 other person in a house at this time. So, we had it with some Kim Chi, some hot sauce and my neighbour added some of his own freshly made mushroom sauce.

It was the best snack while having a drink and watching Netflix. :becky:

If you have not had a hanger steak done like that, please try!

Cheers!

Bill

Last edited:
It looks great!! Is $32/kg a typical price for most steaks in Melbourne? That comes out to about $14.50/lb which is a little high in some parts of the US, but not too uncommon right now.

I admire the cook, but must admit, I would not taste a thing after a shot or two of that crazy Korean fire water.

That's a beauty! - I'm sure the Santa Maria was right on target, and I like the addition of a squeeze of lemon. I need to try that sometime.

That mushroom sauce looks like the business! Kudos to your dinner / snack companion / neighbor.

I've never had soju that tasted like fire water... much more smooth and mellow. If I recall, that bottle's pretty low in ABV.

Great cooking, Bill! Never cooked a hanger steak, not sure why not. You make a very strong case for checking it out - nicely done! :clap2:

looks really fantastic
I like hanger steak, but the women I have at home says that taste is too "beefy", so...

It looks great!! Is $32/kg a typical price for most steaks in Melbourne? That comes out to about $14.50/lb which is a little high in some parts of the US, but not too uncommon right now.

Meat here in general is quite a bit more expensive than in the US. Cape Grimm though is a premium producer and getting it isn't easy. Hanger steak in general is MIA in Australia too, so when you find it you pay the moola and treat it right.

I admire the cook, but must admit, I would not taste a thing after a shot or two of that crazy Korean fire water.

This Soju was about 18%. I have another really good bottle that is 25% which I'm reserving for a special occasion (like maybe getting over this COVID thing). Even at 18% it's pretty strong neat but you just take little sips and it's OK. Well... sort of. I don't remember how the hell I got home, but I had a few Scotches after that. It was not a good combination.:tsk:

looks really fantastic
I like hanger steak, but the women I have at home says that taste is too "beefy", so...

This is true, and why it's better just sliced up like this. And of course you have to eat it that rare. My neighbors wife saw it and just ran away.:thumb:

More for us.

Cheers!

Bill

Back