THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I never saw the need for a Hamburger Press.
I've always hand made my patties.
I like a little fat in the pattie, for taste...
Don't try to flip em too soon, and they don't tear up as easily.

I had a home made monster of a press when my kids were little. It is a great way to stretch your hamburger out. Got me thinking about it again harbor freight here i come!

I have a LEM single that I use mostly in Nov & Dec for processing venison burger by the 10's of lbs. It's adjustable for thickness, use 2 squares wax paper, put into vacum bag & seal. Thaw patties, cook and they are juicy.

I use the top of a maxwell 34.5oz plastic coffee container, flip the lid and fill with the hamburger meat, press with your hands till lid is all filled up, perfect 5/8" patties everytime, takes about 1 min per pattie.

I think I will be able to just pop in dish washer for easy cleaning.

If it's aluminum you don't want to put in the dishwasher.

Dishwasher soap is very caustic and reacts badly with aluminum causing it to turn from gray to almost black and pitting the surface.

This type of press is definitely supposed to be used with the burger papers, use either waxed paper or parchment is you don't want or need a box of burger papers. The reason for the dimpled surfaces of the press are to keep the paper, not the meat, from sticking.

Hope this helps.

Blessings y'all,

brotherbd

I truly despise hand pressing patties. Pretty much because my hand pressing skill really bites and my access to gloves is fairly limited.
Using your hands is a simple process for sure, I am just complaining about it entirely too much.

I remember the burger taste experts saying not to smash the hamburger while making it. It did something to the flow of the juices when it was being grilled. A not so compacted burger was supposed to be juicier and better tasting.

I think it was the show american test kitchen for the perfect burger. There trick was to pack it lightly.

I did have a patty maker back in the day and it worked good.

Back