Votes: 5 14.7%
  • 1:1

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • You like it hot and only use HDD

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Bought a pack of chicken wings specifically for lunch to try the habanero death dust. I want to know what ratio's everybody uses in making a rub mix?

Kinda scared to try HDD straight with no other rubs mixed. I have narrowed my mix down to 3 choices. To mix HDD with Oak Ridge Gamebird+Chicken, Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub, or Oak Ridge secret weapon! Can't decide

I would go easy...maybe like 3:1 or even 4:1. I made a rack of ribs with the HDD when I first received it, and everyone had smoke coming out their ears! Pretty inedible at the moment. But a day later, I had a bunch of leftovers that had mellowed nicely but still with a ton of head-sweating heat! Now, I use HDD as a light dusting under a more generous helping of main rub. Good luck!

I just got some HDD this week myself. Straight out of the bag it is pretty hot. Once it is cooked not so much. I grilled some NY Strips last night and I coated mine quite heavily with the HDD. It was spicy but not fire breathing by any stretch. I'm cooking wings today and I'm going with a coating of olive oil and straight HDD on them too.

I am considering 3:1 or 2:1 for my first go around with it. Just wanted to see what other people's opinion is before I mix up a small batch in a separate spice container.

I am not sure what I would use. like to start easy and sneak up on the spice level. I am not against spicy food, but I find that there is a level where the heat and the flavor are balanced perfectly. Beyond that level, the heat interferes with the flavor.

I can eat habanero peppers whole, but if I am using them as an ingredient, I want to taste the meat and the smoke

Alright so I've started making my mix. I took a little taste of the HDD by its self. I'm going to try 3:1 Gamebird+chicken with HDD because I don't have any secret weapon available. 3:1 should be pretty mellow. From the taste of the HDD I would likely enjoy a 2:1 mix better! I really like the flavor from it! This package was completely sealed so I guess I haven't tried the HDD at all until now

I tried it straight on a couple wings and then 1:1 with comp chicken and pork. Straight was too hot for me but heat tolerance is very personal. The 1:1 was great for me but my family does not like it all.

Tried crucible and cannot take it at all but My brother likes it.

Thanks everyone for the replies, Seems like its a really mixed bag. I use to enjoy stuff screaming hot where you could barely touch it! Not that I'm old, but I'm getting older and my stomach cant handle extremely hot stuff anymore! But I try like hell to eat it LOL

3 parts chopped Carolina Reapers, one part HDD should produce a nice medium hotness.

I'll pass but I will gladly watch someone try this!

I didn't have any Secret weapon so I opt for mixing 3:1 Oak Ridge gamebird&chicken and HDD. I personally found the flavor to be outstanding. The heat didn't kick in til the plate was almost clean but when it hit it was a pretty mild heat.

I think 2:1 will be my preferred ratio for anything I want to add heat to. I will be trying it very soon! I will purchase HDD in the future. I just wonder if the higher ratio will effect the flavor in a negative way because the flavor from 3:1 was the best rub mixture I've had on a piece of chicken.

Back