Last minute dinner ribs

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Well considering they take 4 hours I’m not sure they actually qualify as last minute, but at around 1:30 I remembered I had a couple slabs trimmed up in the fridge and that was gonna be dinner tonight.

These racks were pretty small, I wanna say both untrimmed slabs were about 9lbs total and I got 2.5lbs of ground pork from the deboned rib tips. I’d been wanting to try Oakridge BBQ SPOGOS on some spares for awhile so I seasoned up one slab with SPOGOS and the other with Secret Weapon and Habanero Death Dust.

Onto the Mak 2* for 1 hour on smoke and just over 3 @ 245*. The Secret Weapon/HDD slab got a little bit of Yes Dear Competition sauce.

They were pretty tasty. I had a few bones of each and I will say the SPOGOS slab was quite good. I might add a tiny amount of salt next time, but it’s also possible my palette was too contrasted by the sweeter rib to say for sure.

I was going to hang them on the Clonesaker but realized I only had briquettes on hand so the pellet pooper got duty.

Looks awesome. Have those spice rubs in the cabinet waiting to get some attention. That habanero death dust is awesome on wings!

I was going to hang them on the Clonesaker but realized I only had briquettes on hand so the pellet pooper got duty.

I just added a Hunsaker and a MAK 1 star, so I’m going to have to figure out how to make those decisions. Guess that’s what they call a high quality problem.

I just added a Hunsaker and a MAK 1 star, so I’m going to have to figure out how to make those decisions. Guess that’s what they call a high quality problem.

The Mak turns out some great food but the Hunsaker is a rib cooking machine :thumb: Cooks them in about half the time as the Mak (yes, at a higher temp).

Looks great Suds! I agree with you on adding a little extra salt with the spogos. Great rub for flavoring, but not quite as salty as I would like for a stand alone

Back