THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another item that has struck me is that it appears Grizzly has sought out the folks who were proud to have a Yeti, acquired them as newly sponsored teams...and those teams have dumped their Yeti coolers like a hot rock.
Grizzly didn't know me from Adam and didn't come to me, I went to them after I saw one in person.

And fridges are nice if you have the space inside your trailer. I don't. And they also require power which I don't have while traveling and can't always count on enough at contests.

To each their own.

I didn't mean any negativity towards you, Rub.

I stand by my comment of who has them in the Competition BBQ world. I have yet to see anyone in Comp BBQ who has gone out and purchased one....from the retail shelf. IMO, it's just not at the top of the list for a team, especially one that does not have a cook trailer.

We've managed fairly well without one. Honestly, if they came to us and offered one (and required us to lug it to contests), I would lean towards saying 'thanks, but no thanks. We'll tell all our huntin' buddies how great they are, tho.' They are much more bulky than a standard weekend picnic cooler and heavier.

A team that is dragging a couple of pop-up tents, one or two cookers, tables, chairs and all the other crap needed to build that temporary outdoor kitchen for 30 hours would (should) be thinking twice about adding a bulky cooler to the mix that is going to barely carry their comp meat.

Just my opinion, errybody has one...

This little debate reminds me of what people use to tell me when I had a shop and worked on cars for almost 20 years. Why not just go to Sears get Craftsman tools they are a lot cheaper than snap on Mac etc. yes they are and do well when you use them 5 times a year same thing with coolers they are a tool. If you compete in a handful of contests and that's all you use them for buy the cheap ones. If you use them every week and weekend. Uh the expensive ones that are built to last.

I didn't mean any negativity towards you, Rub.

I stand by my comment of who has them in the Competition BBQ world. I have yet to see anyone in Comp BBQ who has gone out and purchased one....from the retail shelf. IMO, it's just not at the top of the list for a team, especially one that does not have a cook trailer.

We've managed fairly well without one. Honestly, if they came to us and offered one (and required us to lug it to contests), I would lean towards saying 'thanks, but no thanks. We'll tell all our huntin' buddies how great they are, tho.' They are much more bulky than a standard weekend picnic cooler and heavier.

A team that is dragging a couple of pop-up tents, one or two cookers, tables, chairs and all the other crap needed to build that temporary outdoor kitchen for 30 hours would (should) be thinking twice about adding a bulky cooler to the mix that is going to barely carry their comp meat.

Just my opinion, errybody has one...

I guess I'm the only one in the comp world who bought one without being sponsored. Man I'm dumbass.

This little debate reminds me of what people use to tell me when I had a shop and worked on cars for almost 20 years. Why not just go to Sears get Craftsman tools they are a lot cheaper than snap on Mac etc. yes they are and do well when you use them 5 times a year same thing with coolers they are a tool. If you compete in a handful of contests and that's all you use them for buy the cheap ones. If you use them every week and weekend. Uh the expensive ones that are built to last.
If they come with a lifetime replacement warranty like Craftsman tools, I'm in...

I guess I'm the only one in the comp world who bought one without being sponsored. Man I'm dumbass.

Well, I am probably next in line then.

My wife calls me a "cooler hoarder". Every time I see a new style cooler, my nipples get hard.

I grew up in Florida and have gone thru more coolers than I can count. Even the better ones end up with broken hinges, broken locks, drains that leak, whatever.

After seeing the Grizzly's in person at the Swamp Boys and 3-Eyz class, yes, I want one, or 2 or 3, etc...

Even the wife saw my eyes glaze over when we first saw them at the class. She said, "Oh boy! Here we go again. What the helll are you going to do with the other 5 coolers! We are going to need a bigger house just to store your coolers! When am I going to get a sewing room!"

But, we do go camping a lot. A lot!!! Our coolers get a work out. During the middle of the summer when it is a nice 102 degrees out :wacko:, we get tired of buying ice to keep beer, food and other items cold. It sucks big time when the ice does melt and everything is swimming around in water.

As for comps, yes I want one. No electricity needed; period. We use our coolers for comp meat, food, drinks and BEER. We also need to make sure we have good fresh ice when we leave to take home the leftover BBQ from the comp.

Having something that will cover most bases for us is key.

That is one of the things that caught my attention at the class was how efficient both 3-Eyz and Swamp Boys were with there set-up. Both of them only had the essentials; to win.

Also, if I am not mistaken, if you attend one of the 3-Eyz or Swamp Boys classes, they can help you get a discount on purchases.

wallace

I would love to get a grizzly, have seen plenty online about them but never in person. Rub, could you shoot me a message with pricing info? Thanks

Last year I bought a brand new igloo exgtreme cooler for $60. During the first use I went to pick it up and pulled the handle off, then finally when pulling it along one of the wheels fell off. That was the last cheap cooler I will ever buy. I went out and bought a Igloo Yukon, which a yeti or grizzly equivalent because I couldn't get a yeti (usually back ordered). So if you can get a grizzly through Rub without the hassle, at a good deal, I say go for it, cause it will definetly be the last cooler you have to buy. I wish I had know about them before I got the Yukon, but will prob still get a Grizzly when I can.

We have yet to acquire our Grizzly Coolers. My hands are still burning from dropping the Yeti. Here is my thought process when buying tools.

Will I only be using this once or twice? If the answer is yes, I buy the cheap one because it is not going to be used a lot so why invest the money?

If I'm going to be using the tool often, Ill buy a better one because I know that it will be getting more use. I want what I use to perform when I need it to.

If you want one buy one. If you don't then laugh at the people who do. Who really cares? Both will get the job done. Just like smokers, you can have a 15K Jambo or a 200 WSM. They both get the job done. 1 just has a little more style.

If you are interested in Grizzly coolers you can contact Scott Smith or Mitch Bedwell with Que'n Stew'n and Brew'n. They are dealers. Here is their contact info.
Scott Smith - scottcs1@bellsouth.net

Mitchell Bedwell - bmbedwell@gmail.com

Grizzly Coolers Capacity info:

Grizzly 400 Capacity:
500 - 12 oz. cans: 300 - 12 oz. bottles
200 - 20 oz. bottles; 350 lbs. of game
SIZE - Weight: 90 lbs., 54.5” wide x 30.75” deep, 32” height
(Our 400 Grizzly Cooler is said to hold up to 3 quartered elk)

Grizzly 150 Capacity:
150 - 12 oz. cans: 162 - 12 oz. bottles
132 - 20 oz. bottles; 122 lbs. of game
SIZE - Weight: 54 lbs., 48.5” wide x 22.5” deep, 20.5” height

Grizzly 60 Capacity:
78 - 12 oz. cans: 42 - 12 oz. bottles
40 - 20 oz. bottles; 48 lbs. of game
SIZE - Weight: 25.75 lbs., 28.5” wide x 20” deep x 19.75” height

Grizzly 16 Capacity:
20- 12 oz. cans: 16 - 12 oz. bottles
10- 20 oz. bottles; 20 lbs. of game
SIZE - Weight: 11.5 lbs., 20” wide x 11.5” deep x 14.5” height

Grizzly Coolers Capacity info:

Grizzly 400 Capacity:
500 - 12 oz. cans: 300 - 12 oz. bottles
200 - 20 oz. bottles; 350 lbs. of game
SIZE - Weight: 90 lbs., 54.5” wide x 30.75” deep, 32” height
(Our 400 Grizzly Cooler is said to hold up to 3 quartered elk)

So, not only could I haul my meats, ice and libations to the comps, I could also take a bath in it before awards and then hook a trolling motor up to it and fish afterwards.

Now...you have gotten my attention...

:clap:

Hello all, Bryan from Grizzly Coolers here. First off thanks for your interest in our products, I believe that we produce a quality product that offers value to the BBQ community. Second, how did Grizzly get involved with competition teams? Well, in 100% honesty I contacted Dan @ Three Eyz because they had a perfect score in ribs. With Grizzly Coolers being based in Iowa, we have a lot of great pork and I LOVE great ribs. I reached out to Three Eyz, to see if they were interested in joining our pro-staff. Other teams chose to contact us and we are glad they did, some have even been brought on as pro-staff. The BBQ community is more than a “revenue source” for us, there are three of us here at Grizzly Coolers that have a passion for BBQ. We are a small company that has varied interests whether it’s hunting, off-roading, or cooking and we put our passion into our products. As far as dealers within the BBQ community Sweet Swine O Mine were very early dealers and more recently QSB has been an authorized dealer. I will be attending the 3Eyz class in PA in June; I hope to meet some of you then.

Here’s a pic of some baby backs in my back yard, done up with 3Eyz rub.
858395_611360618878137_1148177811_o.jpg

Much has already been said here, but I can add a couple more. I used my Grizzly 60 as a checked bag for a fly in comp with all my meats and sauces in it for a comp. Not even a scratch and I was able to lock it.

They also double as seats in my trailer now. You big guys know that, "hope it holds me feeling" as you sit on a cooler? Doesn't even budge.

The handles are also molded in, so no way to break them.

The lid will hold up on its own, and won't bend backward so no broken latches. I must have bought 9 or 10 replacements for my Colemans before.

And, they just look cool :)

If you're looking for premium coolers, you might also consider the Canyon brand, made in Alabama.

I understand the cost is somewhat less than Grizzly or Yeti. My buddy Warren Caylor can fix you up with them and his Snouts Honor BBQ Team usually carries a couple new ones to sell with them to contests they cook. Hit him up on facebook if interested, or here's a Craigslist post: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/for/3719028065.html

Not that there is anything wrong with the other brands, just putting another option out there.

If you're looking for premium coolers, you might also consider the Canyon brand, made in Alabama.

I understand the cost is somewhat less than Grizzly or Yeti. My buddy Warren Caylor can fix you up with them and his Snouts Honor BBQ Team usually carries a couple new ones to sell with them to contests they cook. Hit him up on facebook if interested, or here's a Craigslist post: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/for/3719028065.html

Not that there is anything wrong with the other brands, just putting another option out there.

Are you sure about made in Alabama?

I am sponsored by them. I was a Yeti owner prior but when I saw the Grizzly Coolers I sold my Yeti right away and made the switch. Great handles, great drains, roto-molded (like what kayaks are made of), keeps ice for a long time, great latches, life time warranty, come in colors, and made in the USA. Also slightly less $$ than that other one, plus they are in stock. It's a no-brainer if you ask me. Message me and I will put you in touch with Mitchell who takes care of us.

I own the 150, 60 and 16.
Can you get hotel pans flat in any of those?

Back