Grill Kings results

Came in 21st overall. Best was 7th for ribs. Very upset with how the entire event was run. Seems to be more and more disorganized each year. Sorry that 2 fat Pollacks was Dq'ed, not right. No water after 4PM until 10AM Sunday, no cooks meeting, late meat inspection, and very late announcements. The camraderie was great, the food, the fun, the families all great... the event, much to be desired. And oh yeah...the Guest List that not one team knew about.

All the best, Al.

Al Dente said:
Came in 21st overall. Best was 7th for ribs. Very upset with how the entire event was run. Seems to be more and more disorganized each year. Sorry that 2 fat Pollacks was Dq'ed, not right. No water after 4PM until 10AM Sunday, no cooks meeting, late meat inspection, and very late announcements. The camraderie was great, the food, the fun, the families all great... the event, much to be desired. And oh yeah...the Guest List that not one team knew about.

All the best, Al.

No water for how long? WOW! Rob was telling about that. Late meat inspection is wrong as well. People need to start messing with their meat as soon as possible. I know we do.

That water thing is way wrong.

No cooks meeting? I thought that was mandatory.

I think they had a meeting on Saturday but most teams were not told about it.

no water from 4pm to 10am.

Couldnt wash dishes, no water for WSMs unless you hoarded some in buckets.

Thanks everyone. Was great to meet many of the Brethren. I'm still recovering from heat stroke. Hope to see some of you guys travel up to New England for a contest.

Chris

EEeeek. I just read my first post and it looks like I fell asleep in the middle of typing.

first congrats to Chris and Ique for taking GC and Rod and Steve for RGC.. it was a pleasure seeing Rod and Chris... Lat time I met you guys was at the jack 2 years ago..

and also congrats to willyB pulls a hat trick stealing third!! Way to go and ya did it all within the same minute at precicsly 1:30.

and a real big congrats to Vinney and bad bones.. those guys had the biggest chit eating grin on there face for getting some iron the first time out. And in true BBQ Competitor fashion, as soon as they got back to camp, and looked at the breakdown on the scores.. they were like WTF??? How do you get a 665 and a 889 on the same box?.. Bad Bones.. get used to it..

fyi.. they were 100% certified judging this time.. probably the one good thing that happened at the organizational level of the event. There were alot of major issues, some starting minor that x40 makes it bad.

congrats to all our teams that walked.. and some of the other teams that made their way here... bayside buttheads, babylon grillies, camo-q-crew.. purple turtle......they all got top 10 finishes somewhere.... i tried to get to everyone to say Hi, and wandered around with a big pot of Linuine and clam sauce... but I didnt get to meet a couple of them.. Will try again next time out.

next event we check on some minor details, like water.. shade...time.. etc..

EDIT:: I forgot.. Thanks to my team mates!! who staring down the butt of adversity, still got us a couple of walks. Jorge flew up from Texas just to compete with us, Smoker ate to much jalepeno sausage(that jorge bought from TX) and I think it won some "internal" battle.. Steve wa lookign greenish, but continued to bust his hump to keep us going..

BQ.. well he's him.. yelling at me to HURRY UP HURRY UP HURRY UP!!! :twisted: :cool:

ique said:
. Hope to see some of you guys travel up to New England for a contest.

Chris

WHY??.. so you can Whoop us again mr Grand Champ???

:evil:

Oh well. I guess thats as good a reason as any. :mrgreen: :wink: :eusa_clap

Cograts to all that competed under what sounds like some pretty adverse
conditions. Show em who the Brethren Are!!
To those who walked, Oh Hell Yeah!!!!
All in all, it sounds like you a great time. Wish I could have been there.

Congrats to all the winners - the Brethren really cleaned up!!! Sorry I didn't stick around to offer my congrats in person, but the heat stroke was really kicking in - I literally have never been more tired in my life!!

Thanks to all those who stopped by to see our new rig - our food was a disapointment, but the rig was a hit

See y'all at one of the upcoming NEBS events

ique said:
BBQchef33 said:
WHY??.. so you can Whoop us again mr Grand Champ???
/quote]

Well, we have trees and water up here in New England.

:wink:

But the question remains - Will you share them New Yorkers?

Heat Stroke

Guys, I know this is off topic sorta. So, Moderators move it if you feel the need please.

Heat stroke is nothing to play with.
A few years ago I was cooking (grilling actually) for a party of about 250.
Temp. outside was about 100+ degrees and I was under a canopy. I had a “grill” measuring about four feet by six feet cooking surface. It was a whole hog pit. I was drinking plenty of water, and had a cold water soaked towel around my neck. About 4 hours into the cook I quit sweating & not feeling the heat so much. My face turned really red, according to some partiers, and I started feeling like sh!t. I had to turn the cooking over to someone else, and doing the Gator Aid thing inside with the air conditioning. No lasting affects, except I don’t do well in high heat for prolonged periods, but I’m real careful now.
Moral is, you don’t have to be in direct sunlight, and plenty of water is a must, but not necessarily a deterrent, although it helps.
Some of these comps. can be brutal. Be careful.

Wow

Congrats to everyone, especially Willy B, Phil, Jorge and all of the other great members we met! It was a great way to test our feet in the competition waters, even if it was only the grilling portion.

Still waiting to see the big list from Saturday posted so we can see how much more work we have to do. Either way, we're ready to try more competitions soon!

What happened to RockawayBEach BBQ and Pit Beach - were you guys there?

Rockaway beach came by.. but disappeared.. he couldnt get the everything done in time to make it... kettle was waitign for him though. :)

CTSmokehouse also came by and disappeared too... I think i was so distracted that I just lost track.

Here's what went down from my point of view. The breakdown of the breakdown so to speak.

Friday afternoon I get a call from the GK office letting me know of the 2 items I need to have on hand. The first was a fire extinguisher, the second was a handwashing station. When I asked what a handwashing station was, the reply I got was "a handwashing station". I asked if that meant the soapy water, rinse water, sanitizing solution set-up. Again, I got "a handwashing station". I then proceeded to say that if she meant the separate, rubbermaid unit that cost around $650, where was I supposed to get that with the contest setting up in aropund 15 hours. Once again, the same response.

Saturday at 5:30AM, outside the locked gate, with the line growing behind, no entry. Called GK office and got the promoter on the line telling me that Belmont did not want anyone in there until 6AM. But, the vendors were in there all set up and smoking already. Around 6:15AM got in. The promoter decided to move everyone around without notifying anyone. The original blueprint was scrapped when not all 100 spots were paid for. Not a big issue, but it's number 2 on the list so far in regards to lack of communication. There's more to follow.

Got to set up, and still waiting for water and electric. No water because the supply tank has an electric pump, and without the crew finalizing the electrical hook up, no water. That happened at around 10AM. During that time, I'm still waiting for my meat inspection. fFve guys came into my tent to inspect my meat, but only if I was competing in the Pure Fire Challenge. Since they were not KCBS certified, they left, not knowing where Murray was. Finally at 11AM I got Murray. Already around 3 hours behind, with a ton of family coming.

Nassau County Board of Health comes to inspect as well. Asks for my handwashing station. I point out that I did not know what was meant by it and that I only found out about it a few hours ago. I also said that we were not allowed to give out samples since the vendors were selling food to the general public. I had to satisfy him by using an Igloo beverage cooler and an empty 5 gallon pail for waste water. Even though there were 6 2 headed handwashing stations by the judging area.

The water ran out at 3:30PM. Not to be refilled until 10AM Sunday morning. The promoter had no answer and did not go around to even explain the situation to the teams. I got him as he was driving in his truck. Also, never knowing until today that he was on site the whole time in the RV's parked by the fence!!!!!

Sunday, found out that there was a Guest List for teams. Not one person I spoke with was aware of this. Everyone's family member paid both days to come in a cheer their team on. Never once was this option presented to me or any other team I spoke with. The general public should pay, but for the families of teams, c'mon are you that desparate for 5 bucks.

At 4:30 the band annouces to come to the bandshell for the awards presentation. They continued to play. They took a break. They played again until close to 6PM. Everyone got really tired of baking the sun for almost 90 minutes and started to breakdown. The promoter was still unpacking the trophies while everyone was sweating. He even forgot to bring the Championship Belt to the stage.

Some teams had brought their vehicles into the area in the morning and left them there. They were were all packed and ready to go. When other teams, including myself tried to bring our vehicles in, we were told we can't after we were told we can. Temperatures were already rising, and this made it worse. Finally were allowed. All around, the Belmont security and the Staff were very upset with yet again, the lack of communication.

The general public was very upset that they had to pre-purchase BBQ BUCKS in order to eat at the event. The vendors had no control over it because they had to fork over 25% of the sales to the promoter. It was out of their hands. They were told to expect around 30,000 people. It was even cited in a Newsday article in Friday's edition. (he claims that there were 15,000 at Hecksher last year!!!!) One vendor purchased 1,000 racks of ribs. Another paid .20 per ear of corn and they were being sold for $5. The beer was sold for $5 a cup. Another ripoff. If it was outside of Nassau, Budweiser would have gave it away. The promoter was even selling t-shirts at the event, not even giving them to team members.

The event keeps getting worse and worse. I will not be attending next year's event, if there is one. I will be writing a letter to KCBS detailing exactly what is here. Even though I don't care about winning, I wanted to get a trophy just to leave it there on the stage. It's about family, food, fun, and the camraderie between teams, but it's not worth the B.S.

This is being written for something else, so forgive me if I pick up on some of the points Al said....

My take is that the mistakes started before the event itself. The major problem is the lack of communication from the organizer with the teams. I'm going to throw it all out for you in no particular order. I'm also only giving you things I personally saw or experienced.

Dean started promoting it last year as being held in the racetrack as "part of the Belmont experience." There was talk by Dean about the event being held next to the actual race course. Belmont has a beautiful festival area which is where it was being touted as where the event would be held.

Two weeks before the event, the layout is published and the event is placed in the furthest parking lot, about 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile from the main entrance to the race track. No shade and surrounded by the Cross Island Parkway on one side and a busy major roadway on the other. Very noisy. It's like saying that you're a Kennedy Airport when you're in the long term extended parking lot and need a bus to get to the terminal.

Team sites were rearranged that morning without notifing the teams. Not a major problem but it should have been communicated ASAP.

I know some people are pissed that Dean said that he had 100 teams signed up and it was only 39. I don't hold that againist him because I'm sure he was just trying to hype the event. He also made some wild attendence claims, again, he was promoting and I don't hold that againist him either. He said that there'd be about 30,000 people and I'd be surprised if he got 5,000.

The entrance fee was $300. If you wanted to enter the grill contest, it was another $50. I would have included that in the entry fee.

When the entrance forms were first posted prizes for the grilling contest included "cash and prizes." By the time the event was held, it was prizes only no money.

The grilling contest was supposed to be using PureFire coconut charcoal only. It's a lousy product that grill kings has been pushing for years and anyone who's been at a Grill King''s event and tried it know this. So many teams didn't use it. That rightfully so pissed off many contestants.

I've tried it a couple of times and it doesn't burn well. That and the additonal fee contributed to our decision to stay out of the grilling contest.

Nassau County health inspectors were there and demanding a seperate hand washing station. I saw on the National BBQ news that one team was made aware of this before the event, but it's not in the cooks pack and caused us to scramble to come up with an alternative to please the inspector.

There was some confusion on meat inspection. My friend's team was told that even after inspection on Saturday, he was not allowed to cook any meat for Sunday turn in until it was inspected on Sunday morning. It took about an hour to work that out.

Water was held in one large tank and not turned on until about 10am on Saturday and it ran out by 4:30. It was not refilled until about 10:00 Sunday. Dean, was on site and hiding in his trailer while this happened. He could have soothed alot of feathers if he was out there apologizing and explaining the situation. Instead he hid and didn't answer his phone.

Dean's always had problems providing water to the contestants. Last year the water supply was wash basins in the public restrooms. If you didn't have a small pot to transfer water to buckets, you were screwed.

This year power wasn't turned on until about 10:00 on Saturday.The first turn in for the grilling contest was noon! The power was turned off exactly at 6:00pm on Sunday. We were still breaking down at that point, because we were told we won't be able to go.

As for break down, Dean didn't want anyone leaving before 6. Security guards were posted at all gates and cars placed in the exits. Some people were forcibly held in. I had a discussion with the guards and was told to talk to Dean who was nowhere to be found.

They also claimed that there would be no cars allowed in the event area whle the event took place. This was enforced very selectively.

There was a $5 entree fee per person to attend the event. Apparently there were also guest passes available, if you knew about them. A freind of mine's family paid $25 on day one to attend and $20 the next. I hope they fight for a refund.

The judges were in an open tent and nothing was done to keep people away. I saw people from outside the tent talking to judges. I don't think anything suspect happened, but it should have been more secluded.

Turn in boxes weren't provided to the teams until about 10:30 -11:00 on Sunday morning.

The cook's meeting wasn't announced and I didn't know it even happened until Sunday.

Awards were announced at 4:30 when the band told everyone to come up. They kept playing until 5:30 when without any announcement I could hear, Sal - Dean's partner -started presenting the awards for Brisket. I missed the beginning, but the did call out to 5 with Brisket walking first and ending with Chicken. No big deal, except I would have liked to have heard the first winners announced.

The guards were snotty throughout. The vendors were charging incredibly high prices - $349 for a Weber Smokey Mountain and $3 for water. I know you always pay more at events, so I didn't buy anything and this didn't affect me directly, but it helped stoke a bad feeling over the event. I never got the feeling that we were wanted there.

Garbage was picked up sporadically. That is OK in it's self, but I would have liked to had a central place available also to dump garbage. It was 90+ degrees in the straight hot sun and I would have liked to get rid of some of the more fragrant garbage immediately instead of letting it ferment.

I don't know if it was the heat, or all the problems, but this was the least friendly event I've ever been to. The teams just weren't happy and it showed.

Security roamed through about 1:00 in the morning in response of a report of gunshots being fired.

My buddy's team, his first event ever and only competing at my urging didn't get his individual score sheets and was told that he could get them from the KCBS website. KCBS doesn't publish individual scores.

I head about some other things, but if I didn't see it, I'm not going to repeat the rumors. This event was bad enough with what I saw.

This is the fourth event Dean's run. They just seem to be getting worse every year. I know what it's like to run a small contest and I run various events for my parish, so I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to oversights and screw ups, but this one just seemed to be one mistake, mis-communication, bad decision after another. I'm not going back.

On some plus notes, since Dean was expecting so many people and teams, the port-a-potties remained immaculate and were plentiful. He had a couple of great bands. He gave ribbons on 4 and 5 and actually called out the top five overalls.

brdbbq said:
What the hell is Grill Kings anyway ? Just curious.

What is grill kings? Grill kings is hanging out with brethren, grill kings is hearing 1:30 every couple of minutes, grill kings is eating clams and clam sauce as well a ton of other great food, grills kings is losing all of my money to willie b in texas holdem, grill kings is a water free event like a drought, grill kings is waiting for the awards in an open lot while a band plays for 90 minutes, grill kings is each one of us having our own personal port a potty! grill kings is even with all of stuff that happended the time of my life! Thats what grill kings is!

Back