Griddle topper for a gas grill

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I had a Blackstone 36" griddle for a bit and liked it well enough. I got rid of it due to space issues, which is still an issue for me. However, I could store a griddle inside my gas grill (Weber Genesis 3 burner) and get both. I found this on Amazon and the reviews are pretty solid...it seems like the main complaints are about it being hard to clean. Since it's stainless steel it's probably a bit different of a process than the Blackstone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBDBV8Y/

My gasser can get to 550* on the lid thermometer in about 10 minutes, so it seems like it could get plenty hot. Wondering if anyone has experience with this model or a setup like it?

Before I got my blackstone, I had the smaller version of that stainless steel griddle. I did not like it all. While it is fairly well built, everything sticks to it no matter what you do. I did not like it all and I don't believe it will perform anything like a Blackstone. Camp Chef makes a larger cast iron griddle - I had that too before my Blackstone, and that will work a lot better and behave much more like a blackstone.

I have the Little Griddle and it does ok. What I don't like is how fast it drops temp. My gasser will get to 500+ degrees and the griddle will dance water, but as soon as I put burgers on, it starts to drop temp.and when I turn the burgers, it's not hot enough to crisp the other side. I can move them to a part of the griddle that has not been used and get some sizzle but it quits pretty quickly. Long winded answer to say I rarely use it now and would not buy it again.

I used a Lodge cast iron reversible griddle of theses for years and it works great. They're about $30 at Walmart.
I have a Blackstone at home now but the Lodge griddle travels with us and works on the Jumbo Joe or the Weber Q2000 that we carry in the RV.

I have a no name CI griddle that I used for years before getting my BS 36. Pretty sure I bought it at Harbor Freight. It worked well for a couple of burgers, but as sopchoppy mentioned, not enough mass to hold the heat.
Still better than no griddle, though.

That's what I did and haven't looked back. Scored a 28" Blackstone on clearance and put the griddle top on my gasser. Sold off my 36". Even heating, no splatter everywhere and a lid to cover when needed to melt cheese, etc.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240666&page=2

kODtSTih.jpg

lkkdDQhh.jpg

Before I got my blackstone, I had the smaller version of that stainless steel griddle. I did not like it all. While it is fairly well built, everything sticks to it no matter what you do. I did not like it all and I don't believe it will perform anything like a Blackstone. Camp Chef makes a larger cast iron griddle - I had that too before my Blackstone, and that will work a lot better and behave much more like a blackstone.

X2.

Before I got my Blackstone 28" on the Walmart clearance deal, I also tried the stainless Sizzle Q top. I had bought mine at Sam's Club. I never really liked it. I used mine on a Weber Summit S-670 and it never really got what I would call griddle hot. Tried it on top of the grates, no grates, no flavorizer bars (used one on each end to sit it on), or straight on top of the burners. It just never got "griddle hot" to me.

Once I bought the Blackstone, no comparison to the Sizzle Q.

Not sure if it's the thicker steel of the Blackstone or the stainless vs carbon steel, but a dedicated griddle seemed to work better for me. I have seen a recent thread where someone was using their Blackstone griddle top on their gasser and reported it worked just fine. The other thing I did not like about that stainless topper was the grease catch was limited and had no drain. Depending on what you are griddling and how much of it, that can be an issue.

My 28" top should fit in my Weber S670, but I have not tried that. I may give it a try one day as the BTU of the S670 burners would be more output than the 28" Blackstone. Also I should be able to set the Blackstone griddle top where the drain will hit the V pan and flow into the normal grease system in the S670.

I got the Lil' Griddle SQ180 model two years ago for my propane gas burner. Used once and I can't even remember where it is in my garage since I moved here 8 months ago. My 17" Blackstone replaced it on the line up.

Back