Graduation Briskets (Pron)

I have read all this thread and I have to disagree with most of what was written.
This is all IMHO and I don't wish to offend anyone. Especially not the OP THoey1963 who has produced what I see as top rate brisket.
Our hobby, like every other hobby, costs us money.
When we cook for ourselves, family or friends we do it for our own fun and their enjoyment. The praise we receive, the looks on people's faces and the sounds they make while taking a bite is all we need to keep us going.

This has nothing to do with business thinking. And you never mix hobby with business.
Business is about one thing - you all know it.
If I employ a cost analysis to the brisket producing process I'll take into consideration a lot of what was written here:
Raw materials - meat
Other consumables - charcoal, wood, disposable pans, aluminum foil, cleaning materials etc.
Transportation - buying the meat and delivering the finished product.
Depreciation - the cooker has a finite # of cooks before it must be replaced. Take the cost of the cooker and divide it by this #. You came one cook closer to having to replace it.
Cooker maintenance - I have no idea what's required to maintain this cooker. But it probably needs to be protected from the elements, oiled, painted and so on. Also some portion of these expenses is to be appropriated to this cook.
Labour - or more accurately - the alternative cost of labour. What would THoey1963 have done instead of cooking for his friend. And how much has he lost by not doing that. Even if he had done nothing instead of cooking - not resting is also a financial lost.
On top of all that add a reasonable profit for the food business say 15-20%. And that would be the price of the cook going bottom up.
The other way would be to aggregate smoked brisket prices from local restaurants. Find an average or half point. Reduce a discount for a non professional caterer (No offence). And that would be the price top down.
All this goes out the window after THoey1963 said to his friend "give me what you think it's worth."
No business would say that. No one can expect a fair amount after saying that. It could be either the friend had no idea about the smoking process. Or they didn't plan to spend more then $200 on food and thought this would be a way to go. Or they thought this was a friendly cook and no need to pay for your time. Like if they went to your house for dinner. Or anything else.

THoey1963 I'm sure you'll keep making wonderful brisket. Next time someone asks you to cater for them, take one of these roads for your own ease of mind:
Have them pay for the meat alone or even buy it themselves. Don't charge anything else. Do it for fun and friendship.
- or -
Ask for a restaurant delivery price less 15-10%. Make it pure business.
Don't mix. :grin:

Good cook Terry, I think OferL ^ brings up some good points. I think most people who don't understand what's involved when cooking a piece of meat like a brisket grossly underestimate the labor and effort that it takes to put out a quality product. Obviously I don't know the person at all, but I would hate to think someone would take advantage of your willingness to help them. These people (and we all know people like this) are just flat out cheap. If it was me I would give them a one time pass, but going forward...

Again, one day, BBQ may become a small side business for myself. They say if you love what you do, it won't feel like work. But at this time, this was cooking for just a (not close) friend. She offered to pay for the meat and my services, but since I am not there yet, I was the one that left the fee up in the air. What she gave is fine, and she did ask me if it was enough, but I didn't even look at it. Would I do that much again for that rate? Probably not. But, by then, I'll establish a rate and go from there.

Thanks for all your comments. We all know it wasn't enough if you factor in all the items OferL mentioned (Nice write up Sir!). But that was my fault / choice / option. :wink:

Good looking brisket. My thoughts on how much to charge; you won't get what it's worth. If I were to cook a brisket for a group of people I'd try to get them to agree that I'd also provide sides. Sides are cheap and I can prepare them while I'm smoking the meat. And providing a whole meal seems like a better deal to the participants than just a couple slices of meat.

Reminds me of my woodworking days, folks wanted custom bookcases and used Walmart $88 particle board POS as a reference. I just smiled and said I could not start my saws for that price.

One of my obsession/side jobs is woodworking and I can't tell you how many times dumb people have asked me to build a custom cabinet or entertainment center, murphy bed, etc and, after I spend two hours sourcing lumber, hardware, drawing it all out and letting them know what it'll cost, they come back and say "Really??? I can go to Ikea and..." by then I've already hung up.

@OP:

That, sir, is how food pron is done. Outstanding!

Back