THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It is...but trying to pass something off that it isn't, just makes you look bad....just sayin'. WAY too many super educated folks here been doin' this a long time. Of course it looks manipulated, OP shoulda known better than try to pass that off as "un-doctored".

As of undoctored i was thinking of Photoshopped which is why i commented like i did. I have no issue with the put on a steak and set on fire like a salam witch.

I embrace the feedback i was educated yesterday on the tender quick curing salt which i appreciate that feedback. What I dont Appreciate is the slamming of it with no constructive feedback from those people.

I know it’s been said but just think it’s important to reiterate....
Sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite can be toxic in large enough doses.
Use caution when using these.

Its one thing to knowingly put yourself at risk but consider the risk to unsuspecting family members. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze in my opinion.
Good luck and stay healthy.

As of undoctored i was thinking of Photoshopped which is why i commented like i did. I have no issue with the put on a steak and set on fire like a salam witch.

I embrace the feedback i was educated yesterday on the tender quick curing salt which i appreciate that feedback. What I dont Appreciate is the slamming of it with no constructive feedback from those people.

I think you have received tons of constructive feedback. You asked a very simple question and were given direct answers. Even if you didn't like the answers, they still answered the question and tried to help you. People on this forum are incredibly helpful and have an incredibly vast knowledge of barbecue and cooking in general. But, they aren't going to hold your hand and do everything for you. Barbecue, as everything in life, is very subjective. Take everything with a grain of salt, but use that information to become better, and don't feel like a victim when people are just trying to help or make sure you're not feeding your family something unsafe. We all want to see each member succeed and become pitmasters in their own right! Keep at it and stick around here and you'll be amazed at how much better you get.

I think you have received tons of constructive feedback. You asked a very simple question and were given direct answers. Even if you didn't like the answers, they still answered the question and tried to help you. People on this forum are incredibly helpful and have an incredibly vast knowledge of barbecue and cooking in general. But, they aren't going to hold your hand and do everything for you. Barbecue, as everything in life, is very subjective. Take everything with a grain of salt, but use that information to become better, and don't feel like a victim when people are just trying to help or make sure you're not feeding your family something unsafe. We all want to see each member succeed and become pitmasters in their own right! Keep at it and stick around here and you'll be amazed at how much better you get.

Agreed.

tx_hellraiser.... one thing in your favor is that Tender Quick was designed for home use and is a lower concentration of nitrites and nirtates than the commercial "instacure" blends aka pink salts that professional butchers charcuterists use. Secondly, many things have nitrites and nitrates... salami, ham, bacon, hot dogs, some sausage etc., and sometimes they have a purpose (curing with or without cooking) and other times it's for aesthetics (color or texture), and sometimes it's both (corned beef or ham). I would be curious to know how much TQ you used, what the dwell time was, and if you washed it off or not.

Common practice for doctoring a brisket is to mist the meat with water, sprinkle TQ on the inside face only (not on the fat cap side), let it dwell for 15 to 30 minutes, then rinse it off but do not dry.... and let it rest in the fridge for at least an hour before patting dry and seasoning it. It only takes a light sprinkle, then the surface moisture helps it dissolve, the rinse removes any excess. You can also experiment with ground celery seed (not salt) as it helps ring formation and is a good flavor with beef.

Back