THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not familiar with the Hondo. Is it rather like a OK Joe Longhorn, or maybe more like an Old Country Brazos?

The hondo is like the silver smoker but has the flat top on the firebox and older versions had beefier steel.

I cooked on a hondo for many years. Use lump as a base coal bed and beer can sized splits for smoke and wood flavor. You will absolutely get a smoke ring.

Brining Using tq you can just soak it and make pastrami or corned beef. You have a good smoker to make true BBQ brisket. My first few competitions were on a hondo. If you look in the bandera101 document in the forum, I have so e mods you can make to the hondo to improve performance and reduce babysitting it.

Whatever floats yer boat....I never understood why so many chase and get so side tracked with the smoke ring....even if it is manipulated. Taste is paramount. To each their own.

Whatever floats yer boat....I never understood why so many chase and get so side tracked with the smoke ring....even if it is manipulated. Taste is paramount. To each their own.

Well to be fair, this type of ring, absolutely affects flavor. OP should have asked "is this pink ring good"?

It’s cool bro. Be safe with the TQ like folks said but otherwise if you guys like it that’s all that matters. We’re all blessed to live in an age where we can experiment with food.

You be the judge

Alright well you asked for it.. No.. if you put this in front of my face.. I would refuse to eat it.. I don't think it looks appetizing at all. I have cooked plenty of briskets.. and I cook with with a wood fire I don't get smoke rings remotely like this. I am siding with the folks that its artificial and this post is pretty much pointless.

That said.. Should be careful with the amount of tender quick you use as others suggested. Family likes it.. keep cooking it.. but no need to bait BBQ heads here on the form like you have..

Alright well you asked for it.. No.. if you put this in front of my face.. I would refuse to eat it.. I don't think it looks appetizing at all. I have cooked plenty of briskets.. and I cook with with a wood fire I don't get smoke rings remotely like this. I am siding with the folks that its artificial and this post is pretty much pointless.

That said.. Should be careful with the amount of tender quick you use as others suggested. Family likes it.. keep cooking it.. but no need to bait BBQ heads here on the form like you have..

Well said. If i would have said this in my first post, i would have got stoned to death, lol

Ya’ll are petty. It’s food.

It is...but trying to pass something off that it isn't, just makes you look bad....just sayin'. WAY too many super educated folks here been doin' this a long time. Of course it looks manipulated, OP shoulda known better than try to pass that off as "un-doctored".

If I smoked a brisket and it looked like that when i busted it open I would honestly be alarmed. It seems like people ate it and they were fine. But eating stuff like that on a regular basis could have some consequences not known by the people eating it.

It is...but trying to pass something off that it isn't, just makes you look bad....just sayin'. WAY too many super educated folks here been doin' this a long time. Of course it looks manipulated, OP shoulda known better than try to pass that off as "un-doctored".

And thanks for not shying away from the obvious. I know me and you don't see eye to eye on most things, im glad we do on at least some things.

So is this:

vJo2PV.gif

v1wPYk.gif

KenXEn.gif

It looks like partially corned beef though...but I'd probably still eat it. Kinda like putting a high rise spoiler on a Honda Civic.

Last edited:
Have you ever considered getting yourself a bbq guru or similar? Will do wonders for controlling the temp.
Yes i have had not been in a postion to buy one until recently. I may try and cut it out and make the modication just dont want to jack up my smoker this guy is not very handy lol

The hondo is like the silver smoker but has the flat top on the firebox and older versions had beefier steel.

I cooked on a hondo for many years. Use lump as a base coal bed and beer can sized splits for smoke and wood flavor. You will absolutely get a smoke ring.

Brining Using tq you can just soak it and make pastrami or corned beef. You have a good smoker to make true BBQ brisket. My first few competitions were on a hondo. If you look in the bandera101 document in the forum, I have so e mods you can make to the hondo to improve performance and reduce babysitting it.

Thank you i will take a look at those documents and thank you for the ray of hope

Back