Going Naked at a KCBS Comp....

Do NOT make a bed of rib meat!

Any rib meat that isn't attached to the bone is a foreign object and will cost you. On the other meats you're good but not on the ribs.

Other than that as a personal matter I like the nekid boxes, that way I don't have to worry about missing the kale, red tipped, etc.

That's a given on ribs & he was asking on butt & briskets. I've seen pulled chicken as a rare entry similar in function to pulled pork & money muscle.

Since you are going naked, just make sure you make a nice arrangement of meat-for pork maybe some nice chunks with lots of bark, some slices, and some pulled. Brisket-burnt ends, and slices. Just make sure you have six portions of each for the judges. and the boxes look full. This is all of course, just a suggestion. Good luck at the competition, barbecue nut

I do know that 1st place in Pork at the 2010 Lake Havasu contest used no garnish and had a full box of meat. I don't know what the appearance scores were though.

There were 71 teams at that event.

I've been judging for 3 years and I've never seen that. I personally wouldn't recommend it. I would agree with bmonkman, the parsley is a pain to pick off when it's time to eat (but it looks the best for appearance).

Trust me, I don't have the Armadillo Eggs to attempt to box meat naked. I wouldn't recommend it either, just sharing what I know.

Thanks for everyone's input. Planning on pulling the trigger on this at the Tupelo comp. About 100 teams there, may make me stand out or fall flat, who knows. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Still 50/50 on it, but leaning on doing this....gotta swing hard to hit a home run!

Good luck! Please let us know how it worked out!

Well, fwiw, got 40 pork, 6 brisket...but did place garnish. Was all ready to pull the trigger on naked boxes, but instincts told me it didn't look right. All 9's for appearance on brisket, 2 8's and rest 9's on pork...maybe I'll sprout a set and Hammond and see how this goes. Thanks for everyone's input!

Back