Go to BBQ sauce?

I just bought a gallon of Blue's Hog Tennessee Red and I'm in love. IMO a perfect sauce for brisket and poultry. I don't sauce my ribs as a general rule and I make my own vinegar sauce for 'cue. Still, Tennessee Red is as good as I've tasted anywhere. I could drink the stuff.

Old Mule

Small family farm in NC mountains. All natural, no artificial ingredients or additives. They have a medium and hot as well as the best mustard sauce I've had. Mostly available on line at oldmule.com

I do not work for them or have any connection other than being a customer for many years.

+1 on the Old Mule. Has a unique taste, using brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce gives it a hint of mollasses. I picked this up when i visited North Carolina and plan on getting more when I go down there next month.

My own doctored/cooked recipe that uses SBR as a base....but in the end you would never knw it.

If I had to buy off the shelf....Good ole SBR, or (and yes I'm serious)...McDonald's "Tangy Sauce" - their basic BBQ sauce.

I use two different ones, My favorite is 1/2 Spicy Sweet Baby Rays 1/2 Regular everyone raves about it, The other that I really like an I only think its cause I grew up eating the ribs in Cleveland is Tony Roma's it works in a pinch.

The one I'm really enjoying now is Big Rons sauce. I love it because you can actually taste the individual spices and tomatoes. No HFCS in it. Tastes homemade!

I either doctor up some SBR or for my pulled pork I seem to have gotten into the habit of making this:

Smokin' Joes Cherry Bourbon BBQ Sauce

1 24oz bottle of Cheap Catsup
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vineger
4 Tbsp Honey
1/4-1/2 cup Red Stag Cherry Bourbon (Jim Beam)
1/8 Cup Famous Daves Rib Rub
2 Tbsp Garlic Salt
2 Tbsp McCormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning
2 Tbsp McCormick Hamburger Seaoning

I go mostly by taste but that is a start, whatever I have in the spice cabinet is fair game.

I usually make my own but if I'm lazy I'll use Cattleboyz which is really good KC style sauce from up here in Canada. The wife is picky and only likes Tony Roma's Carolina Honey sauce.

Sweet Baby Ray's Honey for me. Love the consistency, the color, the flavor and works very well with my rubs and dare I say......FP. Another versatile sauce you can thin out with cider vingar for pulled pork, add mustard to if you like, or use straight on ribs.

Back