THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handling hot grates, welders gloves, handling hot food, cotton glove inserts under nitrile gloves.

Knit cotton gloves under latex gloves here, works great.

for the smoker, I've got an awesome set of Welder's gloves that I've had for about 15 years... never used them for welding...
for food, light, knit cotton under latex or nitrile...

I use cotton gloves under nitrile gloves most of the time, but have welding gloves to handle hot racks, the chimney, etc. I also like these for handling hot meat...

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm

I do the white cotton gloves from Harbor Freight, with the cheap blue nitrile gloves on top, 5mil, maybe 7mil, not sure. But if you want to look cool, like the BBQ guys on TV, you'll need to get the black gloves. :wink:

May I ask why the cotton or knit gloves under the latex/nitrile gloves? Just for insulation from heat or another purpose? I almost never wear gloves but I work in auto dealership and see the fancy black nitrile gloves the guys use and have been tempted to pick up a box. As far as hot objects go Im usually using tons or something like that, but I do like the idea of gloves to keep the mess to a minimum.

May I ask why the cotton or knit gloves under the latex/nitrile gloves? Just for insulation from heat or another purpose? I almost never wear gloves but I work in auto dealership and see the fancy black nitrile gloves the guys use and have been tempted to pick up a box. As far as hot objects go Im usually using tons or something like that, but I do like the idea of gloves to keep the mess to a minimum.

Absorbs sweat so the nitrile gloves don’t stick to your hands. Makes it easier to get them on and off.

For moving a lot of food around in the grill, I use a pair of these purchased locally.
61MKdD3NN%2BL._SY879_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Wells-Lamont-167L-Heavyweight-Gauntlet/dp/B000BZ8K4M
Easy to slip on and off, wash in the sink like you are washing your hands.
Used to have a pair of welders gloves for the hot stuff, but a dog ate them.

I do the white cotton gloves from Harbor Freight, with the cheap blue nitrile gloves on top, 5mil, maybe 7mil, not sure. But if you want to look cool, like the BBQ guys on TV, you'll need to get the black gloves. :wink:

Everyone knows you aren't a real pitmaster unless you use black gloves....

I initially cheeped out and got some 3mil black ones on amazon that actually work fine. I haven't ripped many of them yet. However, now we use the Napa Challenger 6mil gloves. My brother works for Napa, so we get them super duper cheap. Black, of course. They are great gloves.

Switching to knit gloves under nitriles changed my life. :)

It just makes things much much easier. I used to prep meat with clean, bare hands and used either tongs or some kind of high temp glove on the cooker. The down side of that is that you're constantly needing to wash your hands and/or the gloves, have to wash your tongs when the meat is still raw, got to find just the right way to grip with the tongs, etc. etc. That's a big enough pain at my house with a sink right there, can be a complete PITA away from the house.

With cotton/nitrile gloves I can easily move meat on the cooker and just toss the nitriles after. For cooking lots of small things - like pounds of wings - I can get in and out of the cooker much faster; easier to move big hunks of meat like a brisket; easier to pull off a butt that's falling apart.

I keep a pair of welding gloves around for non food related tasks like moving grates, messing with the fire, etc.

I use a pair of thick welders gloves, but not for handling meat.
I also have a spatula that has a 8" wide blade on it that is strong enough to lift Boston Butts. A pair of giant tongs with the huge spatula gets most of the jobs done.

I do the same........but I guess I look cool with the 9 mil black gloves......maybe my cats are impressed. :p

I also have welding gloves to handle hot metal and throw wood chunks into the fire box.

The white gloves provide for some heat protection when handling hot meats. If you were to just use the nitrile gloves, it would be the same as trying to grab a hot butt with your bare hands. Sorry, but my hands aren't callused enough, they still feel that heat. Much easier to handle big meats with your hands rather than trying to use tong/spatulas.

With cotton/nitrile gloves I can easily move meat on the cooker and just toss the nitriles after. For cooking lots of small things - like pounds of wings - I can get in and out of the cooker much faster; easier to move big hunks of meat like a brisket; easier to pull off a butt that's falling apart.
I keep a pair of welding gloves around for non food related tasks like moving grates, messing with the fire, etc.

Yep!...^^^^^what he said.:thumb:

Back