Glove usage at comps

Thanks everyone. This has been some good reading.

I think we all agree on clean hands, and protection here.

I work at a hospital doing maintenance, so I am always washing my hands as well. It is a very good practice. I always (or try to) wash my hands before picking up gloves to put on. And I think it helps. Then when I take them off, I do it again.

I also think that being allergic to pork has me washing my hands, wrists, and lower arms more than I think I do.

I have also learned that regulations very from state to state. Which, I think is kind of crazy. Last weekend, I had a health department lady tell us we need to have the white hoses for water. This is the first I have heard of that one. Even for washing meat, and especially for drinking. I think she was hinting for us to go out and buy them as the store down the road carries them. Do you think I drove down there and bought hoses.... NOT..

Not when nobody else was. I would have had to gotten probably close to 400 feet to get the water to my tent.....

Back to gloves. I use a lot of the latex, and never really gave it a thought about people being allergic to it. I know my daughter can't wear the plastic style watch bands. They break her out like crazy.

I have had the chance to get a few pairs of the general surgery style gloves. Now those are nice..... and they are sterile, until you open them up and touch something that isn't.

Meat I use them, veggies I don't. My wife will sometimes for onions and hot peppers. So why do we use them on meat and not veggies? Are veggies not prone to our transfer of the same problems as meat? What about those dirty bathroom hands on veggies? Good question raised earlier and not commented on yet....

I would suggest, wear them in the kitchen all the time......

I did my first comp this weekend and nearly went through an entire box of gloves in a 24 hour period. I did all my prep and other work there on site and I was wearing a pari of gloves the whole time. I wore them when I went to the bathroom, touched meat, blew my nose, etc. Even then, I was still washing them all the time.

I'm not exactly a clean freak but I guess it's the surgical background that has kinda instilled itself in me.

According to the Florida Babecue Association rules under disqualification letter f you can be disqualified for not using gloves while handling food.

I think this will be on the horizon for all events before we know it.

If you want to read their rules, go to:
www.flbbq.org/fba_rules.htm

Interesting reading. They do follow the KCBS rules quite a bit, but have added and changed some, which are more strict.

Back