THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I chose Gettysburg because it was a two day contest as opposed to three days. While it was almost equidistant for us between Gettysburg and Wildwood, I preferred the open space, easy-in/easy-out, and not sitting in three hours of shore traffic on a Sunday night.

Yep, I had to look it up.

We did Gettysburg because it was close and entry fee was half normal ($125), but, so were the payouts.

The guy did WAY TOO MANY things for a first year contest - Friday Anything butt. Saturday 4 wing categories, 2 Peoples Choice events and the KCBS event. Sunday 4 grilled cheese categories, ICS chili comp and I think there were some chili peoples choice events. I mean, really - 4 grilled cheese categories. The cooks meeting for the wings contest was scheduled for 12:30 on Saturday - okay, I'm doing ribs and not thinking of wings. Water and ice were issues. Fortunately, I brought a lot of my own.

On the positive side, big spaces - 24 x 40 - loved it. Easy in and out, not very expensive and 40 minutes from home.

I might do it next year. But, the organizer needs to get his act together. Kind of messed up this year. The dates were advertised as July 14/15, so I signed up. Didn't look at the dates close enough and realized I had to be there on the 13th, wedding anniversary :loco: Fortunately, wife is pretty understanding after 27 years of putting up with me. Next year, the 13th is the Saturday.

Gettysburg. My motorhome is where I do all the work and at wildwood I could not have it at the site so that is that. Yes, Gettysburg could have been organized a LOT better .. like having the services there (Electric etc. ) when the event starts instead of scrambling etc. etc. But it is a nice site and we will return next year probably. Is it possible that I won more cash than Kit? I guess it's time to order that Ferrari :)

I though Gettysburg had excellent judges. It was also close to home and cheap.

Judges sucked. I think that is reflected in the scores.... ;)

It was a typical first year contest. Some bumps in the road and them trying to do too much. But overall it was a good contest. The location of the judging tent was spot on....

Back