Gettysburg vs. Wildwood, NJ

I chose Gettysburg because it was a two day contest as opposed to three days. While it was almost equidistant for us between Gettysburg and Wildwood, I preferred the open space, easy-in/easy-out, and not sitting in three hours of shore traffic on a Sunday night.

Yep, I had to look it up.

We did Gettysburg because it was close and entry fee was half normal ($125), but, so were the payouts.

The guy did WAY TOO MANY things for a first year contest - Friday Anything butt. Saturday 4 wing categories, 2 Peoples Choice events and the KCBS event. Sunday 4 grilled cheese categories, ICS chili comp and I think there were some chili peoples choice events. I mean, really - 4 grilled cheese categories. The cooks meeting for the wings contest was scheduled for 12:30 on Saturday - okay, I'm doing ribs and not thinking of wings. Water and ice were issues. Fortunately, I brought a lot of my own.

On the positive side, big spaces - 24 x 40 - loved it. Easy in and out, not very expensive and 40 minutes from home.

I might do it next year. But, the organizer needs to get his act together. Kind of messed up this year. The dates were advertised as July 14/15, so I signed up. Didn't look at the dates close enough and realized I had to be there on the 13th, wedding anniversary :loco: Fortunately, wife is pretty understanding after 27 years of putting up with me. Next year, the 13th is the Saturday.

Gettysburg. My motorhome is where I do all the work and at wildwood I could not have it at the site so that is that. Yes, Gettysburg could have been organized a LOT better .. like having the services there (Electric etc. ) when the event starts instead of scrambling etc. etc. But it is a nice site and we will return next year probably. Is it possible that I won more cash than Kit? I guess it's time to order that Ferrari :)

I though Gettysburg had excellent judges. It was also close to home and cheap.

Judges sucked. I think that is reflected in the scores.... ;)

It was a typical first year contest. Some bumps in the road and them trying to do too much. But overall it was a good contest. The location of the judging tent was spot on....

Back