Gettin the itch to build another smoker

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Last one I built was a 120 gallon air tank and I built it on a trailer:

http://www.nwnative.us/Grant/shop articles/24x70

That was a few years ago. Now a friend shows up with 3 vertical air tanks, the kind that you don't bolt an air pump and motor to. These tanks are 3/8" thick walls and 3/8" thick end caps. Or they were in 1947 when they were built. No telling how corroded they are now 75 years later. Here's a shot of the 3 tanks on pallets:

IMG_4709.JPG

Here is a shot of one of the tank nameplates: (NOTE: SH375 HD375)

IMG_4725.JPG

61" overall length (height if they were standing up)
21" outside diameter
50" between end cap welds

I make that 85 gallons.

This one's going to be a stationary model (on wheels, but not on a trailer).

What do you guys think? Should I go haul home one of these old tanks? I never heard of a 3/8" tank!

seattlepitboss

Ever consider making a big WSM vertical type? A buddy had one made from a scrap of 30"+ diameter pipe and named it Dorothy. Those tanks would be nicer looking. You are certainly talented, awesome looking smoker from link provided.

That tag has a temp rating. They may be steam condensate tanks. They could be 3/8" thick or more. Had an ole friend who made a smoker from a 400G boiler feed water make-up tank that was 3/8" thick. It was a monster.

Get at least one of them. You'll hate yourself later if you don't.

Wow...didn't realize how much work goes into making a cooker.

You spent a lot of hours on that. You needed a bunch of different tools that the average Joe wouldn't have.

I give you credit. I wouldn't have tackled a project like that even if I had the skills. Much easier to just buy one.

I know, that's no fun, right?

Anyway, I can see why smokers cost what they do now. Thanks for clearing that up.

I say build 2 lol. I finished my vertical earlier this year and sold it. Already itching to build something else. So much fun building it and it's really not that hard.

Very nice work, and super thorough documentation.

I worked for Grainger in 2010 and bought several of those Ashcroft close out thermos myself.

Those are air brake tanks from semi truck/trailers so 3/8" is probably DOT required. Should you do another build? If you found tharpy and satisfaction in the other one and have room to work on it when you feel like it,by all means start another build. People will pay more for your skill than smokers cost so if you just need a smoker buy one. You'll never know about corrosion until you cut it open. I spent close to $30k on a building when Covid hit and I think it served(s) me better than if spent on Drs and meds. I've got projects in ever corner that are worked on when the notion strikes me. If an idea comes to mind or the devil starts trying to dance in my head I might go out at 2am and think of nothing but what I'm working on until after the sun is up. Before I had the building I might get up at 2am and be drunk by daybreak.

Back