German Style Meatballs w/ Mustard Beer Cheese Sauce

Grimm5577

is Blowin Smoke!
A local German restaurant makes these amazing meatballs. I was lucky enough to have them give me a basic idea on how they are made and now they have become a home favorite as well. It's really not too much different than a normal meatball except it has cream cheese and sauerkraut in it and a breaded outside. Any way this is what I did.

Ingredients:
4Lbs 80/20 Ground Beef
1 Pack of Cream Cheese
Sauerkraut
Shallot
Garlic Cloves
Bread Crumbs
Egg
Salt & Pepper

I mixed all of the above up and tried to equally distribute the cream cheese and then let the meat rest for about 30 mins.

IMG_6403.jpg

After the rest I started making meatballs. I used another pack of cream cheese to fill the center of the balls.

IMG_6405.jpg

I then rolled the balls in corn meal to give them a nice crunchy coating.

IMG_6417.jpg

I then put the german style meatballs into the fridge to set up. While that was happening I started the fire in my WSM.

IMG_6447.jpg

Let the embers get good and red.
IMG_6446.jpg

Then on to the cooker they went.

IMG_6425.jpg

WSM was holding well around 200-220

IMG_6438.jpg

While they were cooking I decided to make a mustard beer cheese sauce.
The main players:
IMG_6441.jpg

Put some duck fat and lard into my sauce pan and made a roux, then added in some beer, then some stone ground german mustard, some thyme, garlic and onion powder, horse radish, and let all that get happy for a bit and let the roux darken a touch. Then dropped in the chesse. added some half and half to get it to the consistency I was looking for.

IMG_6444.jpg

Checked the meatballs and they were all ready for a flip.
IMG_6465.jpg

Looking good and cooked.
IMG_6467.jpg

Then plated it with some Crab Mac and cheese.
IMG_6471.jpg

IMG_6472.jpg

IMG_6481.jpg

IMG_6489.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

Fine looking Eats:thumb: Yesterday I had a hankerin for some mac & cheese and I used PBR instead of milk:icon_smil I also tossed in some freshly roast Anehiems and a 1/4 lb of cooked chorizo for good measure. :biggrin1:

Fine looking Eats:thumb: Yesterday I had a hankerin for some mac & cheese and I used PBR instead of milk:icon_smil I also tossed in some freshly roast Anehiems and a 1/4 lb of cooked chorizo for good measure. :biggrin1:

I've done beer mac and cheese before... but i still had to use milk LOL...

Back