Gasket/Silicone Help Needed

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
I'm currently working on restoring a cabinet smoker I picked up. My rope gaskets are shot. Unfortunately the company that built this particular smoker is no longer in business. So I have a few questions for the Brethren....

Where do you guys buy your gaskets? Do big box stores sell rope gasket by the foot? I'm thinking I'll need about 22 feet in total.

My other question is there any particular silicone I need to be looking for besides high heat? It looks like I'll need a big tube and use a caulking gun to lay the rope gasket down?

Here's a couple pictures of the rope and silicone.

PXL-20210905-233009105.jpg

PXL-20210905-233013685.jpg

Just looking for some general guidance. Thanks for any tips!

Amazon. Just bought fiberglass rope gasket a few weeks ago. Dont use the cement tho. Use silicone adhesive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazon. Just bought fiberglass rope gasket a few weeks ago. Dont use the cement tho. Use silicone adhesive

Thanks for the heads up on Amazon. Just load up on high heat silicone and squish it in? I've use some Rutland flat gasket on my BGE with some silicone but that minimal amount of Silicone. It looks like in the picture that they must have used some ultra wide tip to lay it down even? I'm not sure how they would have don't it otherwise.

Looks like they overdid it. Run small bead where you can see it barely ooze out when apply gasket but not so much it looks like pic you posted

Personally I am done with silicone as have had some issues with it burning at high temps. I am going with tadpole gasket like pitmaker and sealing with full sheet or 1” strips. Either screw it in or tack weld

Looks like they overdid it. Run small bead where you can see it barely ooze out when apply gasket but not so much it looks like pic you posted

Personally I am done with silicone as have had some issues with it burning at high temps. I am going with tadpole gasket like pitmaker and sealing with full sheet or 1” strips. Either screw it in or tack weld

Thanks for the explanation.

I tried to find a YouTube video earlier this evening with someone installing a rope gasket on a cabinet smoker. I didn't have any luck but I did see a video on a Lone Star Grill that were wedged behind some strips that were screwed. That made a bunch of sense.

Any place that sells wood stoves or wood stove accessories should have fiberglass rope gasket. I buy it by the foot from a local mom & pop hardware store.

Back