Help Needed Please On Measuring Gaskets - Mistake Made!

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
I clearly have no idea what I'm doing when measuring and ordering the correct gasket for my cabinet smoker I'm restoring. Unfortunately the Backyard Bombers Smokers aren't in production any longer and can't drop an email with a question.

He is the measurement of the gasket:

PXL-20211002-162000440.jpg

PXL-20211002-162110274-PORTRAIT.jpg

So I ordered a 5/8" rope gasket. Boy was I wrong:

PXL-20211002-162238439.jpg

PXL-20211002-162253608.jpg

I have a few questions:

1) Did I order the right type of gasket? It being a rope gasket.

2) Did I measure the wrong way? I took the width measurement of a 1/2" and ordered the gasket that way. (I bumped it up to 5/8" intentionally but it's way off. Even if I ordered 1/2" it would have been wrong)

3) Do you measure and order the gasket by the Height of it? This is maybe where my issue might be. My new gasket is almost double in size. The width is around the same size but the height is way too big and fat. Should have I ordered a 1/4" rope gasket?

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

Looks like ordered right material just a “different” size. I say different as it may not be wrong. Rope gasket typically is measured by diameter. After being used it flattens out and stays that way which is why your original gasket has two dimensions

How was the original gasket adhered to the smoker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran over to Menards this evening after noticing online that they carried rope gaskets in store. I grabbed a chunk of my old gasket and made my way. Unfortunately the 3/8 and 5/16 appeared too small and the 5/8 too big. I didn't have the best feel as the plastic bags were sealed with the new gaskets but I could visually see through the clear pocket window on the bag and somewhat feel the size difference through the bag. I'm fairly confident that I'll need a 1/2" rope gasket. I feel a little more confident now but not 100% certain.

I appreciate all the help from everyone. Very much appreciated!

@Bsck9Q The gasket was stuck on with silicone. Pret crude looking compared to the options of what is available today. I'm going to have to make it work...

PXL-20210905-233013685.jpg

Doesnt appear to be a dedicated slot for it. I would try the 5/8” and it will compress down to 1/2”

Doesnt appear to be a dedicated slot for it. I would try the 5/8” and it will compress down to 1/2”

No dedicated slot. I'm afraid the 5/8 gasket won't compress down far enough next the hinges. The new gasket seems to be almost double in thick thickness compared to the old one. If it wasn't $28 in gasket material I'd test it out just to try it. I'm going to send this one back as it's free returns with Prime and most likely get a 1/2 gasket and see what happens.

If I was guessing, that is 3/8 to 1/2 inch. It is different, as the original has been compressed over time. I would order the 3/8 personally.

I think this is right. The new gaskets that you’re looking at are round (as you’d expect). Your old one isn’t.and I doubt that’s how it was originally. A 3/8” gasket that’s been squished over the years would seem to be a reasonable guess for what you have.

I think this is right. The new gaskets that you’re looking at are round (as you’d expect). Your old one isn’t.and I doubt that’s how it was originally. A 3/8” gasket that’s been squished over the years would seem to be a reasonable guess for what you have.

I ended up holding a new 3/8 rope gasket this evening at Menards and it was undersized compared to my used example I brought with. Even the 5/16 seemed slightly undersized when comparing to my example piece. The 5/8 was too big. I believe the last option is the 1/2. Unless this rope gasket that came with the smoker is something completely custom...

have you measured the gap on the hinge side with the door in the closed position?

I haven't but I'm not sure how accurate of a reading I'd get as the gasket touches on the other side when closed. The measurement at the hinges would be misleading if it were closed without a gasket on the other end.

I haven't but I'm not sure how accurate of a reading I'd get as the gasket touches on the other side when closed. The measurement at the hinges would be misleading if it were closed without a gasket on the other end.

Your hinge side should give you a fairly good idea as to what size the gasket should be . Then figure an extra 1/8" for compression.

I'd go with 3/8". Compressed to 1/4" x 1/2" makes total sense to me. And if it's off by an 1/8" I can't see it being a big deal. You're not trying to seal something that is pressurized. My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Back