Gas Prices Effecting Your Comp Decisions?

You are right. I usually don't when a trailor is in tow. Taking it out of overdrive when towing seems to help though.

Keep Cookin!

Dodge Cummins gets around 20 mpg without the trailer, 16-18 with the trailer. I would work at 3 jobs if I have to to go down the road to cook. There are ways to do it, you just have to really want to. How big is your heart?
habenero

High gas prices not affecting our competition decisions this year. But they are extremely annoying!

I have to laugh thinking back to a trip we took to France two years ago. Gas prices were real high here, and I saw a gas station in Paris where the price was marked 1.61. It took a minute before I realized that was Euros per liter! That has to be around six or seven bucks a gallon. That's why they all drive glorified golf carts....

The prices are bad here, but nothing compared to Europe....

i look at it this way.

consider a 20 gallon tank.

if gas is a dollar a gallon more than last year, that equates to 20 dollars per tankful. So, if your going to use 2-3 tankfuls, its only 40-60 bucks more this year than last.

hobbies cost $$. wanna play, gotta pay. Its alot better than needlepoint.

not that theres anything wrong with that. ;)

For now our pit is pulled with a company truck on the expense account. We have discussed a contingency plan but we'll see what happens. It's something to think about for sure.

My hobbies over the years have been Sailboats and Motorcycles, this is much cheaper. Pay a little more for the gas...also practice more so you will win the competitions then they will supplement your hobby! :-D

Diesel engines can run on lots of things, including used vegetable oil. Conversion isn't too expensive, but your car will smell like McDonald's fries! Google biodiesel and you will learn a lot.

I opted out of cooking wichita this weekend. The extra gas on top of the more expensive beef and ribs... on top of... etc, etc. Made it too expensive for me to travel that far to boot. I am cooking the APWA cookoff in Shawnee instead.

Gas hasn't really affected us that much this year. We will still go cook all the ones we want to, but that roadtrip to the Royal is making me think!

We were gonna rent an RV, but then they hit you for mileage too! It's almost 1500, ONE WAY! Looking at other options now. Anyone with an RV wanna drive us out and "lounge with lunchmeat" at the Royal this year?

I started cooking only 2 birds, 2 slabs ribs, 1 pork butt, 1 brisket packer.
This saves me about $60.00 and that makes up for the extra fuel cost.
The way I figure "I can cook 2 slabs better than 6 every day!"

No more free snacks for the masses :)

Last edited:
http://thefuntimesguide.com/2005/07/ford_f650_truck.php

Oh if I just had an extra 80 grand

fordf650.jpg

this web sight has an book that the formula in it

there is an additive that you buy from them
there is an additive you buy at walmart
gas about 1 gal per 55 gall of bio
kerisoine about 4 gal per 55 gall of bio
and 35 gall of veg oil i get my from chesters chicken

my fueling station cost me about 500.00 to make

one batch 55 gall will cost me about .18 cents per gal

the guys at work turned me on to this i drive an jeep desiel durring the week i drive about 1500 to 1800 miles an week

then my ford power stroke pulls my bbq trailer during the weekend

the guys at work has an vw station wagion desiel and the other one drives an doge ram

it goes from an ruff sounding desiel to an cats pur the oil lubes the cilenders even more

jeep extended my engin warenty by two years because i was running bio

york

How long does it take to make a batch? And what kind of mess does the station create? I'm guessing it's probably something my home owner's association would frown upon.

Diesel engines can run on lots of things, including used vegetable oil. Conversion isn't too expensive, but your car will smell like McDonald's fries! Google biodiesel and you will learn a lot.

I have some friends that convert their own biodiesel and they don't have that issue at all. A lot of people say they smell but I've never smelled it. Their cost is about 1.50 a gallon.

Back