THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I know many teams that use charcoal or stickburners that don't start their fires in a chimney. They use torches, weed burners and other means. For that matter you can start pellets without the electric hot rod. Throw some pellets in the firepot add a little gel light and you have fire.

For the record we use charcoal and chimneys as well.

i'm sure you know what i mean though.

I hear ya. I'm just sayin' there's always going to be an inequity in smokers. Our first comp was done on two charbroil bullets and a smokin' pit pro, team next to us was cooking on a Jambo Pit. The cost of our smokers couldn't even buy a spare tire for that pit. Unless everyone cooks on the same equipment that is always going to be a factor. I always view it as more of a challenge to produce better bbq on lesser equipment. Granted being new to competing, we have plenty of other challenges to overcome. LOL

I hear ya. I'm just sayin' there's always going to be an inequity in smokers. Our first comp was done on two charbroil bullets and a smokin' pit pro, team next to us was cooking on a Jambo Pit. The cost of our smokers couldn't even buy a spare tire for that pit. Unless everyone cooks on the same equipment that is always going to be a factor. I always view it as more of a challenge to produce better bbq on lesser equipment. Granted being new to competing, we have plenty of other challenges to overcome. LOL
I would argue that point all day. The inequality is in the ease of use, thickness of steel, capacity and insulation I've seen guys with UDS that won and I have seen guys fly into a contest and borrow equipment and win. I've seen plenty of Jambo owners not win. By your logic Jambo owners should win every contest and all finish at the top because they are the highest priced smokers. All it means is you might have to put a blanket on the smoker to hold in the heat and maybe burn a little more fuel. This year's top 10 KCBS only one team was Jambo all the way that I know of and that was Pellet Envy.

When I go to a contest I know anyone can win. My focus isn't on what's my neighbor got that I don't. He could have a Jambo, Snake River briskets, 15lb money muscles, perfectly straight ribs and plump chicken. But if I pay attention to details and stick to my game plan I will have just as much chance of winning then he does. Again, this goes back to the cook not the cooker and there are plenty of cookers out there you can point to own cookers that don't cost over $1,000.

Sorry, not trying to stir up anything here, just clarifying you don't need anything fancy to win.

That was exactly my point, that you can win on anything. That even if you restrict smokers to stick burners or charcoal you're still going to have a wide range of smokers some fancier than others, but that it doesn't matter. Some people go to comps to have fun others see it as a business. Each person/team gets something different out of competing otherwise they wouldn't do it.
I am going to worry about myself, I'm not going to worry what my neighbor is doing. The only reason that I piped up in the first place is b/c I love bbq and I love competing and I dont' think someone should tell me that I shouldn't be able to use my Traeger Jr to cook my chicken on.

I think the bigger factor is the BBQ knowledge of the person using the equipment rather than the expense of the equipment.

cook on what you will. i have no issue whatsover with peller poopers, gas, or electric.
BUT
does anybody that use these start their fire in a chimney?
NO.
so there is the answer to both the difference in using a stoker in say a WSM, AND why electric and gas SHOULD be allowed.

Not sure the startup process should make a difference.

I use a Stoker on my Klose stickburner, and I can light it by putting some charcoal in, holding a cigar lighter to one piece of charcoal, and letting the forced draft do the rest.

An FEC with a broken igniter can be started before the controller is on by using gel or a MAP torch, so kind of a fuzzy line there.

I rather agree with you Rob. However, IMHO, it's where they drew the line
in the sand to help define what IS barbecue vs. how it's actually cooked.

Meaning, if we change the line, what defines barbecue? If someone then
uses their electric crockpot, is the result barbecue? One might debate
that it's better left up to judges. THAT point I'll debate all day long, and
I'm of the judge ilk. If Bobby Ray wants to submit his boiled rib or crock
pot butt in KC Masterpiece, generally I'm fine with it. But if it gets judged
worth a darn, then I beg to differ. I'm of the opinion that they, the
founding fathers of most of the sanctioning bodies, saw the wisdom in
defining what is and isn't barbecue and kept it to being cooked the old
fashioned/natural way, over wood or a wood product.

And how is a crock pot relevant in this discussion, you ask? It's tough
to define the difference between an electric bbq cooker of some type
and something else akin to a crock pot, that's how. It gets very gray...

Frankly, to me, the boiled rib and the crock pot butt, not matter what
sauce you slather on it, isn't barbecue, by definition of what is and isn't
barbecue. It may be delicious, but it's not barbecue, IMHO.
I've got a question, if the idea is to remain true to "old fashioned" bbq then how does chicken cooked in a foil pan swimming in butter fit in to "old fashioned" bbq? Seems to me this method is not much different then using a gas grill and a dutch oven or just placing a dutch oven in charcoal. Certainly not in the spirit of historic bbq in my opinion as the only time it touches a bbq is just to put marks on it.
So if they're allowing this why restrict the heat source? Isn't it being a bit hypocritical?
If sticking as close to the spirit of old time bbq is the main idea then they should ban muffin tins, foil pans or anything that is not a natural item touching the meat like tin foil wraps,injectors etc.
Instead use things like banana leaves and burlap, things that were used way back when.
I think bbq should be work, you should have the risk of burning or drying out your meat because you didn't tend the smoker well enough or have mal-formed tough chicken because you didn't spend enough time or care when trimming or cooking it.
Isn't that what this sport is supposed to be all about? You,meat,fire and skill? Not who has foil,foil pans,electronic computer controlled blowers,injections etc?
I love it when I see a team using a plain UDS or WSM cook old school and get a walk!
Just my 2 cents...

Thanks Guys for some good thoughts.

Have enough to proceed on with a project I am working on.

Appreciate it.

TIM

Back