Frontier Lump coal?

You have a GFS in Traverse City, go in there and buy their lump. I am currently in the middle of burning a bag and it is good stuff. Not unreasonably priced, a big bag, and burns nice. No foul odors or taste.

I normally use Royal Oaks and Cowboys. Last month I picked up a big 40 lb bag of the Frontier cuz it's cheap. Cheap is what I got. Don't care for the smell/taste but I guess it's usable. Wouldn't use it on any expensive cooks but ok for burgers and dogs I suppose. It does have nice large chunks, very sparky, very, very dense pieces too. Don't have a clue what kind of wood is in there. I would say average heat but above average ash residue. Bottom line, I got what I paid for.

I buy it at Sam's also and its been my experience that it is a lil' sparky, its more dense than say Royal Oak so its a bit harder to get going with my weed burner in the egg, but a load of it in the egg last almost twice as long than Royal Oak due to being denser. Its my new favorite lump.

You have a GFS in Traverse City, go in there and buy their lump. I am currently in the middle of burning a bag and it is good stuff. Not unreasonably priced, a big bag, and burns nice. No foul odors or taste.
Yes I do have a Gorden's but ours don't sell it.

Does it have to be Lump Derek?
I know you're a convert and all but Home Depot's sale on the twofer Kingsford bags is coming up this next weekend nation wide.
40 pounds of Kingsford charcoal for ten bucks.

I've already dug out a hole in the garage for the charcoal, and the wife is PISSED cause we're about to move, said she didn't want the U-Haul to drag off nothing but BBQ pits and charcoal, but dammit that's a STEAL!

I'm pretty sure the GFS and Royal Oak are the same stuff. Also, there's a Restaurant Depot in Traverse if you're a KCBS member, they usually have RO at good prices

If GFS doesn't carry their own brand or RO, ask the store manager, they're usually pretty obliging

I'm pretty sure the GFS and Royal Oak are the same stuff. Also, there's a Restaurant Depot in Traverse if you're a KCBS member, they usually have RO at good prices

If GFS doesn't carry their own brand or RO, ask the store manager, they're usually pretty obliging
I wish we had a resturant Depot in Traverse city.

if we did our house would be one big KITCHEN :)

Thank you for all the adbice guys and gals.

I used it this weekend for the first time. It did have some big chunks but no odors or sparks and it lasted a long time. I used it in my WSM. From what I seen I would buy it again.

Thank you for the help everyone, I've called GFS and they do carry Lump for $12.99 so 8 bags will be 103.60 out the door, That should last me for the summer, I hope?

Mom say's no it wouldn't way I grill.

I bought the RO at Restaurant Depot. It was made in Argentina, and it was terrible. Low heat, sparks, popping, exploding pieces. It was a big bag and cheap, but totally different that American made RO. I do believe the GFS lump and American made Royal Oak are the same.

I used it this weekend for the first time. It did have some big chunks but no odors or sparks and it lasted a long time. I used it in my WSM. From what I seen I would buy it again.

*Talking about Frontier here...

There definitely appears to be a wide range in quality. Like I said I went through 2 or 3 bags before I got a suspect one. And let me tell you...the odor produced is awful. My WSM smelled for awhile.

I picked a bag up at Sam's a couple weeks back and used it in the drum's and my Weber. I had real good results with it but it sounds like I may have just been lucky!

I picked a bag up at Sam's a couple weeks back and used it in the drum's and my Weber. I had real good results with it but it sounds like I may have just been lucky!

Yep, I was pretty stoked for the price/size but I don't think I want to roll the dice on that stuff again.
Will probably hit up that Home Depot sale on the Kingsford and take my other bag of Frontier back to Sam's.

tried this a couple weeks ago since my Ace just started carrying it..nice smell and good consistent burn..but as others have said way too many small pieces vs large ones

I've bought frontier from Ace and from Lowes. I have no complaints. It's all I use for grilling. It does have a slightly different smell to it but I wouldn't describe it as "awful" like some have posted here. I think it's made from south american hardwood (rain forests) so it's species that we aren't accustomed to. Buy a bag and try it for yourself.

Bartstop

I've bought frontier from Ace and from Lowes. I have no complaints. It's all I use for grilling. It does have a slightly different smell to it but I wouldn't describe it as "awful" like some have posted here. I think it's made from south american hardwood (rain forests) so it's species that we aren't accustomed to. Buy a bag and try it for yourself.

Bartstop

If we're talking about Frontier Lump then yes, awful. It had an ammonia/urine smell to it...I wanted to use and like it but I can't do it.

Maybe at high temps it's different...I don't know. Come on over to my house, I'll give you an unopened bag to try for yourself! :wink:

If we're talking about Frontier Lump then yes, awful. It had an ammonia/urine smell to it...I wanted to use and like it but I can't do it.

Maybe at high temps it's different...I don't know. Come on over to my house, I'll give you an unopened bag to try for yourself! :wink:

Is this the 40lb bag?
From what I've been able to gather:
Made in USA (mine is) = good stuff
Made in Argentina = not good stuff

Naked Whiz gave it the "Recommended" tag just this month.

Is this the 40lb bag?
From what I've been able to gather:
Made in USA (mine is) = good stuff
Made in Argentina = not good stuff

Naked Whiz gave it the "Recommended" tag just this month.

I think I still have the bag. I'll check.

So the stink bag (40lb) was made in Mexico...I also have a couple of 20lb bags that were OK from the local Pamida and they were made in USA...

Unopened 40lber that I have in the garage is from Mexico..it's going back.

I think I still have the bag. I'll check.

So the stink bag (40lb) was made in Mexico...I also have a couple of 20lb bags that were OK from the local Pamida and they were made in USA...

Unopened 40lber that I have in the garage is from Mexico..it's going back.

The one from Mexico (distributed out of Tx) is actually the same as this stuff.

http://nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag33.htm

Back