Frist BGE cook for a crowd

The cook begins

Prep for the cook has begun. I started with a 12.72 boneless cryopack pork shoulder from Costco at $1.39#. Looked kinda like the ones in this picture fro VWB

http://virtualweberbullet.com/porkbuttselect_photos/porkbutt1.jpg

[FONT=&quot]There were two pieces of meat in the package. I trimmed off 1.2# fat and stuff and wound up with a 5# and 6# pieces of loosely connected muscle, tissue and fat that in no way resembled roasts. But with the creative using twine and square knots I was able to join these hunks of meat together into two loosely joined roasts. After it tied the up I seasoned them with John Henry's Lil Shag's All Purpose Rub and wrapped them in plastic wrap. The cook will begin tonight.

Does this schedule make sense? The target time the meal is tomorrow between 2 and 3pm. The 6# butt could take 15 hours so if it goes on at 8pm tonight it should be done by 11am tomorrow and go into the cooler, the 5# butt would probably come off earlier.

I don't plan to start the Tri Tip until 1:00 or 1:30 so I will probably shut the egg down and then restart it for the Tri Tip.

Does that sound right?
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure your egg has has been going and stabilized at your target temp for 30 t0 45 minutes.Add that time to your schedule. I think your butts will not take that long, but you can just cooler them longer. No need to shut the egg all the way down, just throttle her back for awhile.

Paul

Back