THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

redchaserron

Full Fledged Farker
A while back my daughter and I had "crispy ribs" at a sorta local place that was turning out some pretty good Que. Tragically the young owner/chef died and the place closed. My daughters been after me to make her some fried ribs ever since.

Yesterday I trimmed up some spares and lit the Weber since all I was doing was 1 rack. I seasoned with my usual rub, did a snake of cowboy briquettes with hickory chunks on top and smoked them as normal. They came out so good I almost stopped there

xQd64nt.jpg

First slice 'em up

tNOMqss.jpg

Breaded with flour and panko with a little rub in the panko
wINiIdI.jpg

Fried them just long enough for color and crispness

O6SJRFj.jpg

And served with a flight of sauces, homemade BBQ sauce, Homemade Chipotle Aioli, Homemade Buffalo Ranch, and sweet chili

UnS39cJ.jpg

9eaj4IA.jpg

Her spoiled highness approved

Those look really good. First heard about this idea last year at Fox Bros. in Atlanta. Haven't tried them (cooking or eating) but am starting to think about it.

Those look awesome! Been wanting to try this as well. Did you egg wash prior to flour and panko?

All I used was milk because I forgot to add the egg to it. Dip in milk, then flour then back in milk then Panko / Flour mixture and it was a nice crust. It certainly would have held more crust and had even more crunch with egg but it really wasn't missing anything.

Yes Sir!!!!:thumb::thumb:
A friend of mine does them the same way, although they dont forget the egg.:doh:
Anyway you have whet my appetite and the next rack becomes the "experiment"!
Thanks for the pics, and yes, the Princess has to be kept happy!!:razz:

I make the asian five spice fried ribs every so often. Your ribs look delicious!

Those look really good. First heard about this idea last year at Fox Bros. in Atlanta. Haven't tried them (cooking or eating) but am starting to think about it.

I heard chef Carl talking with them and saying it started as left over ribs and quickly became their best seller. Ever since I have wanted to try. Was going to the other weekend but go lazy. After this thread I GOTTA do it

Those look delicious! That's the way to do it!

As far coating you can do all kinds of ways. I did these a number of years ago for a throwdown. I had wanted to do panko, like what you did, but the Master was going for more of a corndog batter. Naturally, I lost out. I'm wondering what a KFC style would be like, hmmmm.....

1276304_Gore.jpg

The cooking with the Master episode is here for a bit of nostalgia:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84311

Dang, it's been 10 farkin' years!

Your ribs looked pan fried whereas Gore's appear deep fried.
Any better... or just different.

It's just a preference thing. I personally would like the OP's better. I love the light panko. The ones I showed were done in a frying pan (we don't have a deep fryer) but with a good bit of oil and the ribs were battered and not dusted. They were delicious and looked great for a throwdown. My preference though is a light batter or just the dusting. Incidentally, I'm glad to see that Lucky Wishbone survived the 'rona and is hiring:

https://luckywishbone.com/

Pictures don't look quite like I remember, but it's been a few decades since I ate there and memories (and recipes) can change. Steakfingers are shown at the bottom.

Back