Found a prime creekstone rib roast in the freezer

gtsum

Babbling Farker
And thought it would be good to cook up for a Saturday dinner...play some catch with the boys while tending the fire and pair it with a nice 2014 Groth Cab...it started off ok

874aa53a0a818ab22582a66f13509633.jpg

Seasoned with SPOGOS and a little killer hog steak rub on top (first mistake...applied it about 5 hours before cooking...I honestly don’t know why? I normally do it 30 minutes prior or so)

8562a0a09454f4b01fda30518ca704e5.jpg

Cooked at 290 or so until 105 and then instead of pulling to sear over direct coals I cranked the temp in the M1 to 425 or so and pulled at 125 (2nd mistake...should of pulled at 115)

Looks good...

bfc002df251aabe5bb6cbbe44bd0a6fc.jpg

And sliced....

00618ea77377170e1934c080cfbc8716.jpg

Epic failure. By far, the worst prime rib I’ve ever cooked. It was overdone, and dry...not sure where all the prime marbling went to? It honestly tasted like a Denny’s sirloin special (if there is such a thing?). Only thing going for it was a light, clean smoke taste from the white oak and M1...I didn’t even save the leftovers:(. Win some lose some I guess...on to the next one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Man, thats a shame you threw the leftovers away. A little bit of A1 would have done wonders. I will agree, it doesn't look like prime grade, maybe it was a play on words. Lots of shady word play going on with meat companies.

I can honestly say I've never seen a hunk o meat with a serial number, maybe they can trace it to a faulty source animal? :mrgreen:

Look closely at the first pic, it has been re-stickered, adding 1 year to the use by date and the serial # was changed.

I would forward this thread to the fine folks at Creeckstone and ask about adding a frigging year to the use by date!
Ed

I would contact Creekstone and let them know, I am sure they will make it right. Sorry the cook went south, but the meat may have had something to do with it.

I can honestly say I've never seen a hunk o meat with a serial number, maybe they can trace it to a faulty source animal? :mrgreen:

Look closely at the first pic, it has been re-stickered, adding 1 year to the use by date and the serial # was changed.

I got to say that you are some sort of forensic detective. I glanced at that photo briefly never to return again. But your post made me go back and look really closely.

Armed with that info, I would contact Creek Stone and really let them know about a lack of integrity. Let them know there are a lot of Creek Stone fans on this web site. If they do the right thing by you, as they should, some mending of their reputation will begin. However, from now one I will be approaching them with an wary eye.

Before I read the above post, my advice was going to be that sometimes the animal just doesn't cooperate with our tried and true methods. I still think that might be part of the issue here. That coupled with you strayed from you normal cooking procedures. Although, I don't think seasoning early would play much of a part.

Just as 60 is the new 40, 275 is the new 225. With that being said, I have had more desired finish results with prime rib at 225 than 275.

I understand your disappointment, but I would have recycled the leftovers in to a breakfast hash or Philly steak sandwiches or chili Ala 16 Adams.

Robert

Took this old fart a moment to see the upside down sticker. That is some kind of chit.
Can't trust date stickers now, what's next....Purell date code!!!!

Back