Foodsaver technique clarification

jt said:
Bigdog said:
jt said:
Solidkick said:
Lately I've been having a problem with the bags breaking while I'm boiling them. I'm using the Foodsaver brand bags. Anyone found a cure for this?

No cure.......having the same problem.......we've gone to double and triple sealing the bag.

I use the paper towel method....no complaints at our house.
It isn't the seal that's breaking. The bag is splitting in two.

Science teacher here. Looks like a pressure issue. Could you first slip your sealed bag into a larger bag that sticks out of the boiling water. Then boil away, leaving the larger bag open enough to release the pressure while containing the juices. A kind of a boiling condom you might say. :shock:
Would a big freezer ziplock work for this? Instead of wasting more expensive foodsaver bags? Could probably even reuse it...

Ya, that's the ticket.

Reuse the condom? Eeeeeeeuuuuuuu. :p

Science with a splash of used condoms. That's what you want to read on a lazy Saturday morning. Another sip of coffee now.

I have a trick with the FoodSaver that works pretty well. I sit mine on top of the toaster oven, drop the front door down and thats where I sit my bags to be sucked. Perfect alignment config mod.

As far as the juices, I've been using the paper towel mod. The freezing of the liquid first sounds good. I'll try that next time.

Back