Food Network, Why Do I Try?

Hey Dude .... Lets face it, Bobby Flay is a yuppy political correct New York smart Azz. Unfortunately, the FOOD Network went Yuppy and into "Interesting Beautiful People" and left the Food behind. Stop trying to please them and enter some Q Contest where the real people hang out. Would have to loose the LP tanks though ... a good move.

I don't think you know SIDE too well.. He's a stong, active competition cook with a state chamipionship title and an invite to American Royal Invitational in his back pocket in addition to a number of other competition awards.

His video addiction and desire to get closer to Mr. Flay is just an addiction.

Welcome.. time permitting.. please go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself..

Last edited:
The only real guy I ever saw that was a glossy as he was credible was maybe GUY. But case in point...... he wanted sexy ladies on his cooking show... Like me. I like the mixure of sex and food.... Hooters, ya know. but when your putting millions on the line, it gets under the control of the specualtors and what they wanted was a show single men liked, single women liked (cuz of his persona) and was a man's man... aAND that couples could tune into without either feeling threatened. Had guy gotten the sexy girls on his show... leaning against the bar.... the wife would tune out.... the hubbys could not watch because the wives would be mad, the single girls prob would tune out too. Maybe.

Guy an "Man's Man"?? Don't get me wrong, I love watching Triple D (not a big fan of Big Bite), but Guy is considered a "Man's Man"??? :confused: :confused:

The world has definitely moved on.....

Guy an "Man's Man"?? Don't get me wrong, I love watching Triple D (not a big fan of Big Bite), but Guy is considered a "Man's Man"??? :confused: :confused:

The world has definitely moved on.....

Yes, Guy likes men. NTTAWWT.

His video addiction and desire to get closer to Mr. Flay is just an addiction.

Ha! Funny thing is, I've known Bobby for 12 years or so. Had him sign his first cookbook for me and he signed it "Clint, It's all about the Flayvor. - Bobby Flay." I thought it was a little gay but he blew up after that so what do I know!

Since then I've talked to him at various parties, at Iron Chef tapings, etc. and he's much more down to earth now then at the height of his popularity, IMO. Either way, he's not showing up to cook against me any time soon, I guarantee! Hippy chicks got the market cornered.

Thanks, Dr. KY for spotting the other video in England. That thing is all over the place. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/videos/v/...ompetition-BBQ

Sweet Eats Right there!

I wouldn't know where to start!
I guess you couldn't go wrong regardless of your decision.

Face it Funkman, you intimidated the hell out of that bozo.
He may know his way around a grill but he knows
next to nothing about real Que.
He would be lost if you took the extension cord, foil and wood chips away from him.

Weiser

I just thought of something to add... someone here said work with your local area... I agree. Esp the local cable stuff.

Food TV (yes I know this was a sanctioned contest) doesn't get involved unless there is a producer already. S T U P I D L Y I think... they have only so much time available and after filling the airwaves with 2 -4 blocks of Paula Shows, The No Neck Girl shows, Neelys, Guy and Giada [this means each personality usually has 2 - 3 shows on the network] the producers are given assigments like "find me the next Bobby Flay" an thus refuse to look for anything original UNTIL they already have their personality.

You should hone those skills and get some good snappy videos going here's why.

According to an recent survey by Oracle, people under 35 get 80% of their information from videos on the puter.

This means I bet it will not be long until TV shows will begin to adopt the LOOK of flicker video.

Great thing is for these people... you have nothing to produce... its done.\\

Here was my video sent into Food TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBwr3jlfCGg&feature=PlayList&p=70A4BAEF4CB51071&index=11

Well, in addition to what has been suggested already I would suggest these:

1. Polish off the rough edges of the video. Maybe find another person to hold the camera and get more of you in the video.

2. Give some background on yourself and the recipe. As food lacking as the vegan video was, she gave some insight into who she is and what inspires her (fresh produce from the farmer's market). The Food Network seems to be hip on that background story.

And always give an approximate cooking time between steps. Other than that, great video on the progression of the recipe. Looks great too.

In the meantime, build your video base and become a youtube sensation!

Best of luck on future submissions.

Alfred

It is possible, even probable, that Flay is scared of you as you are a better cook than him.

You need a hook. I felt like the spice fairy thing was your hook. Another hook you have is your son. How about using that angle? Everyone's got an angle. Even Bing said so in White Christmas.

I say to keep at it. You never know. It is all about timing. Don't loose the faith Brother.

I am a little late to the thread and hope this has not been covered but I was recently reading and article about the food network and how they have been changing their talent the last few years.

The jest of the article was that FN has been moving from the professional chef model (Ming Tsia and Sarah Malton) who are profesional chefs as well as celbrity chefs to the talent that is more TV friendly with low cut shirts (Giada De Laurentiis) and in your face personalities Guy Fieri and Rachel Ray).

The model seems to have changed for FN to one where people used to tune in to learn to cook first and enternain second. Now it seems the main goal for FN is to enternain and not so much to teach.

Good luck and keep at it.

Well, in addition to what has been suggested already I would suggest these:

1. Polish off the rough edges of the video. Maybe find another person to hold the camera and get more of you in the video.

2. Give some background on yourself and the recipe. As food lacking as the vegan video was, she gave some insight into who she is and what inspires her (fresh produce from the farmer's market). The Food Network seems to be hip on that background story.

And always give an approximate cooking time between steps. Other than that, great video on the progression of the recipe. Looks great too.

In the meantime, build your video base and become a youtube sensation!

Best of luck on future submissions.

Alfred

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. The biggest problem, at least with this recipe, is that I was trying to fit 10 pounds of sh*t into a 2 pound (2 minute) bag while still showing an awesome recipe. I also had someone shoot video for me once but I personally like (at least from an online standpoint) the idea of one handed cooking and filming. It's an art form!

At the end of the day, if the Food TV folks wanna do something, so be it. Otherwise I've got some other cool things in the works on the heels of the world record. Stay tuned!

It is possible, even probable, that Flay is scared of you as you are a better cook than him.

You need a hook. I felt like the spice fairy thing was your hook. Another hook you have is your son. How about using that angle? Everyone's got an angle. Even Bing said so in White Christmas.

I say to keep at it. You never know. It is all about timing. Don't loose the faith Brother.

BigDog! My biggest fan! Colin is anxious to make another video so we may do a pseudo live cook on hi def video for 4th of July. Did a very interesting bit of media today that could be cool. Still need the hook, though, since folks don't like the sunglasses or hat, the handheld camera/one handed cooking action, or the fact that I have never worn pants in any of my videos (check it, I may be lying)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back