THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I really liked the show,not as good as Pitmasters season 1, but 10x better than season 2

I thought the show was OK. I will watch it again. It was not exactly what I wanted to see, but kinda interesting. The producers should have either told the competitors to be ready to set up like it was a comp or at least provided the shelter. Amazing that only one team had some sort of protection from the elements.

Whats up with all the haters. A BBQ show on TV should have BBQ people excited, not moaning like a dying cat. Who cares if it's not perfect, nothing is. After reading this whole thread so far here is the run down for those just catching up...

"I dont like it"
"I like other shows better"
"I blah blah blah"
"I I I I I I"
Did I say "I"? Who cares, get over yourselves. It's BBQ, enjoy it.

The people who make and participate in these shows spend a lot of time and money to do it for our enjoyment. They also tend to read the BBQ Brethren as well since this is THE PLACE to go for all things in the world of BBQ and instead of them getting a little love for the efforts they put in instead they get a bunch of whiners. Quit the bitchin already. If you don't like it don't watch it. You don't need to tell everybody you're not going to watch it. Just don't watch it. Period. End of story. Leave this thread for those that did and want to chat about it. Quit peeing in the miso.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I just watched the show in an AVI file sent to me by Infernoo!

I'm familiar with this kind of format, and it sh!t's me to tears usually... but this is about SMOKE and BBQ and Grillin!... not frickin cup cakes, so I got a lot out of it.

It's good to see the BBQ'n gear in operation. Even quick snippets of the gear and some explanation of process and problem solving was really good, even if it was brief.

The format naturally has to challenge REAL low, and slow BBQ simply to make it interesting for a consumer audience. A 16 hour butt with "the stall" included, simply isn't good TV, and in addition it's a competition, so the normal proceses HAVE to be challenged to see who of the 6 contestants can overcome and win the moola.

As for the result... strangely enough, I thought it was correct. Yes, the judges are a pain, and you can see the looks on the contestants faces when recieving an unexpected comment... like the guy who said Chris Lilly's entry was too sweet! Chris just looks at him... for a while... then says... "OK, I got your flavour profile" Smart answer!

To Chris Hart.. if you're still reading... well done man, I thought you were shot round one.. I would have picked Chicken too. 4 hours for that... no brainer. Nice recovery and an I hope you go all the way! Cheers!

Bill

I watched the show last night and i liked it a lot. I couldn't believe though that Famous dave got such bad remarks on the first round. I personally don't like the cooking styles of the young guy from new york (beard and glasses). Its too yuppyish for my liking. I also felt bad for Famous Dave when it came to racing to the meat truck. He is old, out of shape, and doesn't have the ability to haul ass to the truck like the other guys. I liked Chris's idea of seasoning his ribs, then cooking them and then applying a light coat of BBQ sauce followed by a different spice. I will have to try that. It sounded so good!!!

I also feel that the judging is kind of ehhh I think the competitors should be the judges. If anyone knows BBQ its them. When we think of BBQ some of them come to mind. All and all i look forward to next weeks show.

Ique,

I felt your pain with those chicken thighs. However, i still thought they looked awesome! I liked how you didn't season them heavily so that the chicken was the star not your dry rub.

I watched the show last night and i liked it a lot. I couldn't believe though that Famous dave got such bad remarks on the first round. I personally don't like the cooking styles of the young guy from new york (beard and glasses). Its too yuppyish for my liking. I also felt bad for Famous Dave when it came to racing to the meat truck. He is old, out of shape, and doesn't have the ability to haul ass to the truck like the other guys. I liked Chris's idea of seasoning his ribs, then cooking them and then applying a light coat of BBQ sauce followed by a different spice. I will have to try that. It sounded so good!!!

I also feel that the judging is kind of ehhh I think the competitors should be the judges. If anyone knows BBQ its them. When we think of BBQ some of them come to mind. All and all i look forward to next weeks show.

Ique,

I felt your pain with those chicken thighs. However, i still thought they looked awesome! I liked how you didn't season them heavily so that the chicken was the star not your dry rub.
Dude in the hat and glasses is my brother. You call him yuppy? Hah. Hipster yes, yuppy no. And, he's not from Brooklyn, originally Baltimore. His cooking assistant worked at per se in NYC, so that is where some of the "finer" elements of the cooking came from. I'm not saying my brother can't cook hoity toity food, but if you've ever been to per se, you'd know what I mean.
I do agree about the judging, they (besides Tim Love) don't look comfortable in front of the cameras. Then again, my brother didn't look too comfortable either.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ I thought your brother was OK. He's not cut from the same cloth as a Team BBQ'r but that means he's gonna add some different ways to do things. Nothing wrong with that. For me, it's all about the food and the invention, not about the tradition, which is what some people are getting bogged down about here.

Cheers!

Bill

Dude in the hat and glasses is my brother. You call him yuppy? Hah. Hipster yes, yuppy no. And, he's not from Brooklyn, originally Baltimore. His cooking assistant worked at Per Se in NYC, so that is where some of the "finer" elements of the cooking came from.
I do agree about the judging, they (besides Tim Love) don't look comfortable in front of the cameras. Then again, my brother didn't look too comfortable either.

i liked him. seems he's going to do well too.

^^^ I thought your brother was OK. He's not cut from the same cloth as a Team BBQ'r but that means he's gonna add some different ways to do things. Nothing wrong with that. For me, it's all about the food and the invention, not about the tradition, which is what some people are getting bogged down about here.

Cheers!

Bill
Haha, he pretty much cuts his own cloth. He's a damn fine cook though, I always look forward to family get togethers when he's in the kitchen. Only problem with french trained chefs, they use all the butter and every single pot in the kitchen.
They must've done some creative editing, cuz I'm sure he was dropping expletives left and right.

Back