THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Received a cast iron tortilla press for Christmas. Followed a recipe for flour tortillas that came with it and it was a total fail. The dough was way to wet so I kept adding flour till it seemed it was to a usable consistency. Tasted like bad pancakes and puffed up instead of staying flat.

Does anybody have a good recipe for flour tortillas?

Thanks,

Matt

There are lots of videos on YouTube on making tortillas. I dont think it's your recipe per se, only the technique which Mexican Tias learned at the knee of their abuelas.
@tontotom is right about lard (manteca) used in authentic recipes. I remember two things my latina godmother told me: use manteca in tortillas and cumin is the spice of Mexico and Mexican cooking.

Chud's bbq has a good video on tortillas. He uses tallow but i'd imagine lard would be a fine substitute. It's on my list for something to master, fresh tortillas are tough to beat.

I like the look of his method. It might not necessarily be traditional but the result looks really good. I might try that with lard instead of the tallow.

Chud's bbq has a good video on tortillas. He uses tallow but i'd imagine lard would be a fine substitute. It's on my list for something to master, fresh tortillas are tough to beat.

Interesting, I didn't know something like that existed. Yes, I was using AP flour.

Are you using all purpose flour? If so I would suggest using harina preparada (aka flour tortilla mix). I like the White Wings brand from La Paloma. It's a cheat, but it makes good tortillas.

It will be in the Latin section of your grocery store, usually next to the corn masa. All you do is add water according to the instructions, let rest for a bit, then press out some tortillas and cook them on a griddle or pan. Easy.

Be sure you don't get Maiz (for corn tortillas)

The wife uses a cast aluminum press for corn. Some years back a Mexican woman came to my cabinet shop and had me make several wood presses. She said the metal was for corn, but you had to use wood for flour. I made an extra one for my wife, but she uses an electric press with a heating element in it for flour. I tried to tell her the expert said to use only wood but she's not buying it. I myself don't know if the flour knows it is being smashed with metal, but I was just trying to tell her what the expert said!
I like both flour and corn, too dumb to have a strong preference. Making me want to get out the Blackstone and scorch some shredded smoked butts for street tacos....

Back