First UDS Cook tomorrow

I followed all instruction, I took patience and it worked great the first couple of hours. THEN, I couldn't get the temp back up beyond 220 for a bit. Popped off the 3rd intake to see if it wasn't getting enough air. waited about 20 minutes and no change. It was holding @ 220, but I needed to get the chicken on.

I thought for a few and realized, my ash was choking my coals, aside from taking the grates out, I was trying to decide how to fix the issue. I can't get to the charcoal basket as it sits because it's 3" up from the 1" intakes. Sooo, I grabbed the handle and rocked it to no end. All is well now. I didn't plan for this, but after this cook, there will be a poker hole.

All that aside, my lid hook, which actually works on the side of the barrel broke off, so now, I can't hang it. Another to do for upgrades.

Looking good Ron:-D !

Just started my first UDS cook a short while ago. Hope my groceries look good as yours - yours look fantastic!

Can you share how you made the pig candy? It sounds dee-lish.

if you have adequate charcoal you can always pull the lid from the smoker for about 1-2 minutes. it will get all the oxygen it needs, then recap. start from the beginning at adjusting the temps again. Works great for me. you lose a little heat but it quickly gets back to where you want it
kris

Just started my first UDS cook a short while ago. Hope my groceries look good as yours - yours look fantastic!

:lol: I found my base by searching and the first one I found was from 2007... figured that was and orginal by ???. I used 2# of sausage. 1 Bob Evans Regular and one Bob Evans Zesty. I chopped 1/2 a red and 1/2 a yellow bell, a whole poblano, a whole (large, size of a finger) jalepeno, whole yellow onion, whole bulb of garlic, 12oz block of pepper jack cubed small.

I chopped all the veggies very small, cheese was about 1/4 inch squares.

Mixed both sausages really good, added 3/4 of the garlic, 1 egg and breadcrumbs to bring it together.

Mixed the remaining finely chopped veggies and the cheese together, rolled out the sausage the best I could get a good square, packed in the veggies (I think I had too much). After rolling it, I started getting wholes in the side. Just happend to have a fresh pound of bacon. Laid the bacon out and sort weaved it to make a basket, tossed the fattied on it and tightened everything as much as possible. Threw it in the freezer overnight. Pulled out before starting the smoker. I was still able to shape it nicely while the smoker came to temp. As soon as the smoker came to 250 I tossed her on with the rubbed brisket.

Good luck. Keep in mind, my sausage was too thin and I think I over filled it so it was really fragile, had to start it in a foil pan to firm then drop on the grate. best smell ever when I rolled it out of the pan and the juice hit the fire. I need to go get another slice.:icon_smil

Last edited:
if you have adequate charcoal you can always pull the lid from the smoker for about 1-2 minutes. it will get all the oxygen it needs, then recap. start from the beginning at adjusting the temps again. Works great for me. you lose a little heat but it quickly gets back to where you want it
kris

Thanks, I tried that many times, didn't work as I've read. I had a full basket when I started, but 1/3+ in the bottom was used from the oil seasoning for the inside. I think it burned up faster than I expected. I ended up pulling the grate (I have hitch pins for the top grate and it allows me to pull both grates out without tilting, awesome). I was completely burned down after beating the barrel. Tossed a couple more logs of hickory on adn a handful of lump, it is rock n' rolling again. Brisket's sitting @ 185 and ribs are about to come off. Chicken may need another hour to hour and a half.

Sorry, Just realized I did the fattie:shock:. Pig candy was this.

1 lb thick center cut bacon, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne. Mixed the brown sugar and cayenne really good. Threw the bacon on for 30 naked. Flipped it and sprinkled the sugar mixture. Let it roll for another hour and came out great. (here's the link I followed http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1162614, this was bbqjoe, I'll need to find the original fattie and give proper credit there)

Brisket just hit 198, pulled it off and resting. Ribs still aren't pulling at all, but are up to temp, no sure how those are going to be, but going to pull them. Chicken is reading about 175 in the thigh, I want to make pulled so I'm taking it another 5 degrees.

Once the brisket rests 20-30, I'll pull the ribs then slice the brisket. Then start chokin' the UDS down. I'll pull the chicken and let it rest while grubbin' on some ribs and taters.

pron to come... The bad thing is, even though the day brought more challenges than I normally run into, I'm still excited. Getting that cringe in the jaw... I'll fix the cissues to make next time uneventful, just want to thank everyone in the massive UDS thread for all of the ideas.

Final product. Brisket came of great looking, but very salty and dry towards to ends, otherwise, the center was tender juicy and awesome tasting. Not sure why, used the same rub I always use.

Ribs, wish I would have cut them properly, but they turned out excellent tasting. Sorry, not a rib guy, guess I have to do more research on cutting them properly.

Chickens look awesome, but I'm beat. cooling, and will make pulled chicken with them tomorrow.

No matter what, I'm full and happy, everything turned out awesome. Other than figuring out why I couldn't get more time out of my fire, I'm absolutely satisfied with the end result.

Attachments

• P1090004.JPG
    P1090004.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 91
  • P1090001.JPG
    P1090001.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 90
  • P1090003.JPG
    P1090003.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 90
  • P1090008.JPG
    P1090008.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 90
  • P1090009.JPG
    P1090009.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 89
  • P1090010.JPG
    P1090010.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 89
Great looking grub! Nice smoke ring on the brisket, and it sure looks moist in the pictures!

Back