First try at Beef Short Ribs

These are four bone planks, this being the larger of the two. There was definitely fat there, but wasn't much on top. No more than a quarter inch.

Tapped the vent a little and running around 288* now. Think I'll keep her there...

Almost 5 hours in, 2/3 of it poke like butter with a toothpick. That other third, not quite. Checking it every 30 mins.

Finally toothpick tender all around. Took almost 5.5 hours to cook. Stuck the Thermapen in just for giggles. 200 - 205* IT. I can tell it is tender by the jiggle...

Covered with some foil and resting while the wife makes some rice for a simple dinner. Will take a final pic when I slice it.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 78
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 78
you've done well, those look great. I too was amazed at how the shrink and plump. I love beef ribs! It's funny i had the same thing happen on my bones, all but the middle one went the same way, and the middle guy went the other.

Well, first, these were great. Very juicy and flavorful. Tasted like beef. As far as tenderness goes, the one on the most left was the most tender, the next one was still very tender, the third was good, but had a little pull, and the fourth (right most) was tough. Just not thinking that one cooked enough. Maybe another 30 mins on the smoker.

So, I just wrapped it up in foil with a sprinkle of water and I am throwing it in a 300* oven for 30 mins to an hour.

But, they were worth it and I'll just have to remember to go longer next time. Maybe cut them into two bone pieces.

Attachments

• photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 63
  • photo 7.jpg
    photo 7.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 50
  • photo 8.jpg
    photo 8.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 63
Thanks Y'all for all the tips. My belly and taste buds greatly appreciated it...

Back