THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I cook it to 150 and that's not what it looks like. Thermometer may be wrong but 150 for a tri tip is not pink at all.

The tri tip I cook to 150 is light pink most all the time.

Again,

Look at the length of time to get there.....

"on at 250 for 2 1/2 hours."

.....if you cook it fast like a steak, you lose pink....if it gets there nice & easy, easily still pink like a roast.......both right.......:roll:

Smoke ninja--- If you look at the slices you can see the bunches of muscle fibers are round.it was not cut exactly 90 degrees to the grain but close. Either way.. Anymore tender and it would not have held together in 1/8 inch slices. Also, I think mine is flipped from you picture. The back left point is what was sliced. The grain runs to that point. If you flipped it over and that point is towards you then the cut I made would be perpendicular to the grain. My tri tip was much more compact than the one in your picture (the long point was not as long). Thanks for looking and the diagram.

Again,

Look at the length of time to get there.....

"on at 250 for 2 1/2 hours."

.....if you cook it fast like a steak, you lose pink....if it gets there nice & easy, easily still pink like a roast.......both right.......:roll:

Yep, I cook them at 225-250 until internal temp is about 147-150 anywhere from 1-1/2 hours to 2-1/2 hours depending on size. Still nice and pink inside with the fat being nice and rendered.:-D

As someone who's cooked and sliced more tritips then I could even count, I approve of your cook and slicing! One thing I've learned is that the grain on those things is never exactaly the same. That picture is a good guideline to go off of, but I've gave the grain switch more the once on a tritip, you've just gotta pay attention and adjust as your slicing

Smoke ninja--- If you look at the slices you can see the bunches of muscle fibers are round.it was not cut exactly 90 degrees to the grain but close. Either way.. Anymore tender and it would not have held together in 1/8 inch slices. Also, I think mine is flipped from you picture. The back left point is what was sliced. The grain runs to that point. If you flipped it over and that point is towards you then the cut I made would be perpendicular to the grain. My tri tip was much more compact than the one in your picture (the long point was not as long). Thanks for looking and the diagram.

Yea the grain in your slices look ok. I wasn't % 100 percent sure but being it was your first one I figured that diagram would be helpful none the less. Tri tip is one of my favorite roast.

Great job on that tri tip, looks perfect! Your contingency plan looks mighty fine too.

Hi Wood Fire Steel...I see your from Rome also and about the only place to find a full packer brisket is Sam's club and occasionally you can pick up one at Wal-Mart. That Tri-tip looks great. I'm located out in the Armuchee area.

Smoke- I am actually from cave spring, but who the heck knows where that is. Good seeing someone local. You don't do competitions do you. Looking for someone that may want some free labor to soak up some first hand knowledge.

Very nice!

Bad news is you need a new instant read
cheeky-smiley-012.gif

love tri tip but if there is one bad thing i can say about tri tip is in my experience it just isnt the same for leftovers/re-warmed next day.

I agree that the next day it isn't as good. FWIW I have found that if you take what you have left over, toss it in the fridge over night, and then slice it super thin with a deli slicer, it makes some of the most awesome sandwiches ever.

That looks awesome. I've never gone low and slow with a tri tip before, but now I'm going to have to. Thanks for sharing.

Tri-tip is awesome, there is no doubt. I wonder if the pink had something to do with the marinade? Last time I cooked one it was a Guy Fieri marinated one from Costco that my mother in law had picked up. Did it in the oven at 225 for about an hour till it got up to 125 and then seared it on the grill. Others in the house like meat far more done than I think was appropriate so it was over 150 in the thinner sections according to my thermapen and it was still very pink in those areas when sliced - almost to the point of looking like corned beef. It was delicious still.

Back